The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Anyone been paying attention to that Netflix movie?

Mak Manto

Rogue Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
It's all everyone is talking about at my job. It's called Cuties, and people are angry, like angrier than I've ever seen. I saw some reviews online, and I almost feel like I need to be arrested after just looking at the words.

Marina deVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Never heard of it...and I'm currently hooked on the sci-fi 'AWAY' that's airing on NetFlix.

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
lol omg at least they put in a disclaimer tag 😂

But seriously though, yea i have been following up on this for a while now and waiting to see what develops.

Ronin Wendigo

Guardians of Cerberus
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Might have in passing heard or seen mention of it when ... binge watching Lucifer on Netflix. While waiting on the second part of SE 5 ... Witcher or The devil all the time.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I thought the controversy was over Netflix's advertising (its poster) which is said to not reflect the actual film which they acquired the rights to carry.

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction

Mak Manto

Rogue Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I thought the controversy was over Netflix's advertising (its poster) which is said to not reflect the actual film which they acquired the rights to carry.
It was, you are correct. The controversy started with the poster, which is not the original poster. It was a poster specifically by Netflix.

However, film critics said that it was unfair and wrong to judge the film based on that alone. They said it was a really great film that spoke on subjects that are important involving girls empowerment and culture.

However, pretty much everyone who has seen the film has said that the scenes involving the children twerking and dancing focuses on their bodies extremely close, that it shows a girl lifting her shirt to show her bare chest, talking about oral sex, etc.

Basically, it was bad before the film was released but it became ten times worse after people saw it.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I won't watch it. It will be impossible to do so without the thought of dirty old paedophiles getting their kicks from watching it.

Quel-Jin Lorn

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction

1600305697098.png

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I won't watch it. It will be impossible to do so without the thought of dirty old paedophiles getting their kicks from watching it.

I won't watch it for the simple reasons that I'm not currently subscribed to Netflix and the film doesn't interest me.

That said, I think there is another issue here that is more important. Artists must be just as entitled to create things that piss us off as we are to choose not to like those things. I'm not defending this film specifically. I haven't seen it. Maybe it is actual garbage. But I'm used to watching / reading / listening to things that either piss the majority off or get dismissed as crap. But change (cultural) and innovation (craft, technical) always happens on the fringes first before gradually making its way toward mainstream acceptance. I believe that its the duty of the artist to push the boundaries and illicit strong responses from the audience. Time will ultimately figure out what was important and what wasn't. The worst thing that a movie, book, show or song can do is leave the audience feeling indifferent.

Quel-Jin Lorn

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
That said, I think there is another issue here that is more important. Artists must be just as entitled to create things that piss us off as we are to choose not to like those things. I'm not defending this film specifically. I haven't seen it. Maybe it is actual garbage. But I'm used to watching / reading / listening to things that either piss the majority off or get dismissed as crap. But change (cultural) and innovation (craft, technical) always happens on the fringes first before gradually making its way toward mainstream acceptance. I believe that its the duty of the artist to push the boundaries and illicit strong responses from the audience. Time will ultimately figure out what was important and what wasn't. The worst thing that a movie, book, show or song can do is leave the audience feeling indifferent.
There's a huge problem in media now where they hide what could be a good message beneath intentionally provocative marketing/writing in order to bait people into hating it. They intentionally misrepresent their product, then when you take their product at face value, you're portrayed as the idiot who "just doesn't get it" which they can use for the publicity because they still have plausible deniability.

The idea that these people are holier-than-thou artists trying to convey important messages to us lowly peasantry, yeah I just don't buy it. I don't think anybody needed this movie to know that pedophilia is wrong. If you haven't made up your mind by this point there's something wrong with you. They don't actually care about any of that, it's all about publicity and trying to make more money.

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Must be a Harvey Weinstein production... :mad:

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Must be a Harvey Weinstein production... :mad:
Consenting adult females looking for high profile roles, getting those roles, and then deciding years later that it would be better for their careers to play victim because that's where me-too had lead the conversation...

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Yup yup...there are even publicity and party photos taken together years afterwards with smiles that span from ear to ear from so called victims with their assailants.
Hollywood!
Hollywood reigns for them... till they hit the wall and remember... :ROFLMAO:

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
There's a huge problem in media now where they hide what could be a good message beneath intentionally provocative marketing/writing in order to bait people into hating it. They intentionally misrepresent their product, then when you take their product at face value, you're portrayed as the idiot who "just doesn't get it" which they can use for the publicity because they still have plausible deniability.

The idea that these people are holier-than-thou artists trying to convey important messages to us lowly peasantry, yeah I just don't buy it. I don't think anybody needed this movie to know that pedophilia is wrong. If you haven't made up your mind by this point there's something wrong with you. They don't actually care about any of that, it's all about publicity and trying to make more money.
And they've exploited and sexually-objectified children as their means of generating the publicity. It should be criminal. Just like a child can't consent to sexual acts, can they really consent to gyrating and thrusting their crotches in a sexual manner? As adults, are they doing to look back on that with pride? More like humiliation or justified anger.

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
uhm.... you misspelled 'going' . đŸ€š

...just saying.