The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

By The Light Of The Stars (Brubacca)(Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cade Vallen

Jedi Knight / Troublemaker
Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
Everything was... well... weird.

Nothing on Naboo was like how he remebered or expected. Everything was just slightly off, in a myriad of different ways. Little things really, like how the stone pathways looked newer, they were even a slightly different color. Or how the faces that filled the hallways in his mind were much younger or not even born yet at all. He knew it was a simple matter of comparing his memories from the future he had come from to the present he had created with his mission, that it was just his own perceptions. Eventually he would get used to it, and the feeling that he didn't belong would fade... or at least he hoped it would. He would eventually have to find a way to go back, but first he had to make sure he fixed everything he had come to fix.

The Jedi Council had been skeptical about him to say the least. He had spent days explaining who he was, without actually explaining who he was. There were some things he was understandably keeping to himself, like his family name for instance. He was just glad his father was on a mission or he doubted he keep the secrecy. That would just added to the questions and explanations.

After BB11 had provided a somewhat redacted version of his trials and Knighthood, and a heavily redacted biography, they had agreed to accept him as a Knight for now... And it was almost immediately decided that he would go on a mission, which Cade suspected was more of a test than a reward. What surprised him was what they said next, that they were assigning him a Padawan.

Him... a Padawan... Even in the future he hadn't been given a Padawan yet. So this was go in to be new.

'Don't screw this up Cade.' Was literally his first thought. Followed closely by 'oh shit' when he saw who had been assigned to him.

He knew Brubacca, he had even trained him in lightsaber combat for awhile when his own Master was busy on a mission. He had been a good teacher, hard but fair, and they had been on a few missions together. To say it was weird to see a Master as a Padawan and expected to teach him would be an understatement. Still he was up to the challenge... or so he hoped.

Before the mission started though he needed to introduce himself to the... umm... youngling? Then find out what he already knew, weird... then head out. 'This should be interesting,' he thought as he entered the Padawan training area and began to look around for his student.

B

Brubacca

Brubacca stood on the balcony overlooking the flatlands of Naboo. A faintly bemused expression rested on the short, lanky Wookiee's face, his brown eyes closed. Arms were crossed over his chest, his legs shoulder-width apart as he listened to the poignant sounds of life beyond the Jedi compound. From the scuttle and clicks of the kreetles in the grass, to the yelping calls of the kaadu as they crashed through the swamps a distance away, Brubacca absorbed the Living Force around him.

Sensing Cade's presence, Brewwie pulled his awareness back to his immediate physical space and opened his eyes, chuffing softly. He cocked his head as he turned and eyed the young Knight.

Brubacca barked a greeting and walked toward him, curious about what had brought him by.

Cade Vallen

Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
Before Brubacca noticed him, Cade saw the Wookiee meditating and had to smile. He remembered the many times approaching the older version of the youngling doing the same thing before training. It was natural and weird all at the same time, but for a moment it made him feel at home.

Taking a second, Cade reached out into the Force and felt the connection that Brubacca had formed. He could sense the nature of Naboo though him and was in awe of what he felt. For a Padawan, even for a Wookiee, he had an impressive connection with the environment around them. It would make instructing him easier.

"Rawwrr grrrrr rrrrrawwrrr," Cade tried to say in Shyriiwook, although he had to admit his pronunciation was rough since he wasnt always able to form his growls properly. He hoped it came off as 'Good morning, how are you?' Rather than gibberish or something embarrassing. It was a language much easier to understand than speak for none Wookiees. He hoped that Brubacca at this age understood Basic, it would make things easier.

"I'm Cade," he said in basic to test that theory out. "I have been assigned as your new Master and Instructor."

B

Brubacca

[You should stick to Basic, new Master,] Brubacca barked with amusement, then added, [And good morning to you!]

Brubacca bowed, then cocked his head to the side, studying him.

His path to gaining a teacher here had been very slow. Brewwie had wondered if he would ever be assigned one, the way things had gone. And now, it was Cade, who had been assigned to him. He wondered what Cade already knew about him and his time with the Jedi, and he similarly wondered about this Knight; there were rumors that he was... different.

Cade Vallen

Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
"That's probably a good suggestion," Cade chuckled at Brubacca's reaction to his attempt to speak Shyriiwook. He was out practice and just hoped he didn't embarrass himself to much, but doubted that his new Padawan was going to mention it either way. "I practice a lot more before I try that again.

Cade did his best to set aside his own awkwardness at this meeting and try to act like a professional Jedi, ironically he decided to use the adult version of Brubacca as his example of being a good Jedi teacher. "So I guess we should start with you telling me wabout yourself and what you know of the living Force." Cade said with what he hoped was a calming smile. Not that he expected the Wookiee to understand Human facial expressions yet.

B

Brubacca

Brubacca was better at reading humans than Cade would've given him credit for, but then again, he didn't know much about the young Wookiee's background.

[I grew up with my father, moving from place to place,] he began, growling softly in Shyriiwook. [I have been to Kashyyyk once, but our life was spent aboard his freighter. He was a... former Jedi... and had taken up a salvage-and-sell business after a time.]

His father's past was complicated, to say the least, and Brubacca hoped that his master focused on him and not that history.

[My father taught me how to feel the Force and how to control it so I would not accidentally hurt myself or others,] he added, hoping that addressed the Living Force question. But, he had his own question to pose to Cade. [Some months ago when the Sith attacked the Temple, several of them confronted me in particular, as though there was something special about me being a Jedi trainee. Jedi Jikma helped me defend against them. But, do you know why they were after me?]

Marck Vallen

Jedi Master
Staff member
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
As Cade listened to Brubacca's history, he was very interested in everything he had to say, especially about his father. The Brubacca he knew never spoke of his time before the Jedi Order, not that he spoke to him much about anything to him, Cade had been a student. Still it was fascinating.

"It's good that you have some basic training," Cade said deciding to focus on his skills with the Force rather than his familiar relations. Besides he had sensed his hesitation on the subject and if Brubacca had wanted him to know about his family he would have gone into more detail.

His question was disturbing, and at first he didn't know exactly how to respond. "Well...." Cade began finding his strength to give Brubacca the best answer he could. "Most likely it is because you are a Wookie, it is rare to see a Wookie become a Jedi. And sadly many in the galaxy see Wookies as either slaves or beasts to take as trophies."

Cade hated the words as they came from his mouth, the very idea that anyone was a slave or a trophy made him sick. But especially that so done would target a youngling for such reasons added to the disgusting nature of the concepts. " The Force flows through all living beings, and even if not many Wookies chose to be Jedi, many probably can feel the Force within themselves. It is our duty as Jedi to protect life, and despite what others may think and do, you are going to become a great Jedi and protector of life Brubacca."

B

Brubacca

Brewwie considered that possibility, of him being a rarity. True, he was the only Wookiee here, but he knew his father had been, once, so he assumed there were more, elsewhere.

[That is fair. I hope you are right,] Brubacca said. [I am ready to continue my training with you, Master Vallen, and hope that I can serve under you well.]

He regarded the human Jedi thoughtfully, anticipating that Cade had further questions.

Cade Vallen

Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
"I know it will happen," Cade said wih confidence, before catching himself. Sure he knew who Burbacca was in the future he came from, but that didn't mean he was going to follow the same path in the future he was creating now. He hoped it was, but that was all he could do.

"Is there anything you want to know about me before we get started?" Cade asked, rather than asking anymore questions about the young Wookie. It was weird, he knew him but at the same time he didn't. It was going to have to be so within he got used to, it seemed to be the same with everyone that he met now.

B

Brubacca

Brubacca growled in an inaudible way to express his contentment with being asked that. The only problem with the question Cade posed was that he didn't know what he should ask, or what was really appropriate to ask a human, let alone his new master.

[What would you like to share, Master?] he asked.

Cade Vallen

Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
At first Cade was taken aback by the question, not usedto he reversal of dynamics. He had never been anyone's Master before, let alone to anyone who had been his teacher in the past... or future...

"Well... there isn't much about me I can share," Cade started knowing that the sentence probability sounded weird to anyone that wasn't him. He had to be very careful about details he shared. " What is most important to know I guess is that I believe in doing things as a means to learning. You will only learn so much from books and holocrons. It is only in usin the Force and being in the galaxy doing good that you will know what it means to be a Jedi."

"To that end I guess we should start our mission," Cade said turning to head out of the Temple. "There has been some missin people reports from a small Gungan village, local authorities have requested Jedi assistance., and the Council has decided to send us to investigate."

B

Brubacca

Cryptic. Okay.

Brubacca shrugged to himself at Master Cade's non-answer. Everything he'd ever learned about Jedi from the holonet was that they were cryptic and unusual. So, to his point of view, Master Cade was behaving just as he expected him to.

[Are they adults or children who are missing?] Brewwie asked. [Children may be... being rebellious.]

He didn't know a lot about Gungan youths to know if they were encouraged to test boundaries and forge their own paths as Wookiee cubs were. Did they have their own version of The Shadowlands? Brubacca had no idea.

Cade Vallen

Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
"Good question," Cade said as he opened a file on his datapad to answer his Padawan's question. "Looks like a mix of different ages, some children, some adults, no seniors though." Cade hadn't caught that when he first looked at the file. All the individuals taken were strong, healthy, and none from the same family group, it was an opening pattern that he had missed. He couldn't help but smile at his companion, proud that his youngling had shown such wisdom already.

"Good catch," Cade complimented as they made their way to the garage to take out a speeder. "Here," Cade said as he handed Brubacca the datapad. "Why don't you look over the file and see if you can catch anything else I might have missed." Picking out a speeder Cade jumped into the drivers seat and started the unit up, before pulling them out the door and towards the swap lands.

B

Brubacca

Brewwie paused and gazed at Cade as he settled into the passenger seat.

And so it begins, he thought.

It felt like an important moment, his first mission with his master. Brubacca committed the feeling and the environment to memory. Then, he looked down at the datapad he'd been handed, gently thumbing through the file while Cade drove.

[Is it thought that they were taken? Or that they chose to leave the village?] Brubacca asked, when that remained unclear to him.

Cade Vallen

Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
"The local authorities believe they were taken," Cademreplied as he turned off the main pathway down a dirty roadway that looked like antique animal pulled carts regularly travelled. "We shouldn't make any assumptions either way until the evidence points to a reasonable conclusion."

Cade actually surprised himself at how much like a Master he had sounded in the moment. He still thought of himself as a troublemaker, a rebel, a risk taker, not a responsible adult. More things he wasn't sure about...

As they approached the village, Cade stopped before getting any closer. "Reach out into the Force and tell me what you feel about this place, about what has been happening here."

B

Brubacca

Brubacca had been expecting a reality where they'd have to travel underwater to reach these Gungan settlements. He was pleasantly surprised - and relieved - that this Gungan village was above ground and on dry land. Pushing aside his needs and comforts, he focused on his master's directive.

Narrowing his eyes in concentration, Bru reached out. He rumbled softly to himself, then sat back and looked at Cade.

[It feels like what you humans call... a mourning,] he growled.

Brubacca knew enough about human customs to know that they handled death differently than Wookiees, whose "funerals" were truly a "celebration of life" event. Humans, he knew, felt their losses differently. And, this was the closest sentiment he could think of relating to this Gungan village.

[Do you sense that too, Master?]

Cade Vallen

Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
Closing his eyes Cade reached out with all his senses. While he wasn't as gifted with telepathy and empathy as his Dad or his Aunty, he was still a Vallen and coukd feel the pain coming from the village. "I can feel their fear, pain, sadness, and yes their mourning as well."

Cade looked over at Brubacca and tried to reassure his apprentice. "I don't know what has happened here, but trust the Force and we will help these individuals." Cade truly believed what he said, he had seen the Force guide him through many situations where he had no idea what to do, but had succeeded in helping others.

B

Brubacca

Brubacca nodded, then fixed his gaze back on the village.

[Is there a Boss here that we should speak with first? If they asked for us, we should check in,] he suggested. [So our presence does not alarm or offend.]

It would just be respectful too, to start with their leader, and then branch out from there to gather information. Bru had a question, but glanced through the file once more to see if the answer was there before asking Cade.

[It says they've been missing for more than a week, and locals have already tried searching the forests as well as underwater,] he reported. [The trail won't be "cold," but it will be challenging...]

Cade Vallen

Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
"Good place to start, and it will show our respect." Cade said happy to see his Apprentice taking the lead. It was good for him to be the one to guide this mission as he would learn from leading rather than than watching Cade, especially in a situation like this. "It wad the boss that had requested the Jedi help, rather than other Gungan authorities or the Naboo."

"It may be cold, but we have resources available to us they do not."
Cade said as he began to exit the speeder, deciding they shoukd enter on foot.

B

Brubacca

Adjusting the belt at his hips, Brubacca rested his hands there as they made their approach on foot. He kept his eyes open and senses alert, trying to get a deeper feel for the mood in the Gungan village beyond what they'd sensed in the Force. He sensed curiosity from behind closed doors and curtained windows; no doubt he was the first Wookiee they'd seen. As far as he knew, he was the only one on Naboo!

[Do you know where the Boss is located, Master?] he asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.