The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Dead Actors Recreated Digitally?

Is it ethical to bring back dead actors digitally?

• Its unethical

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Its okay - but weird

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Its okay - but awesome!

• other

• Total voters

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
So they keep improving digital technology, and one of the issues that has been brewing has to do with 'resurrecting' dead actors (who can't speak for themselves) digitally. I'm not talking so much about using the recently deceased to fill in plot holes, but rather the prospect of having them star in a completely new movie.

How do you feel about the topic. Is it okay? Is it unethical?

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
As long as they have the consent of the deceased loved ones, and there is a specific purpose for doing so, like with Leia and Tarkin, then it's OK. But if they are going to cynically cast a CGI Audrey Hepburn just to try and spin a blockbuster then they can piss off.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
I suspect that moving forward this will be tackled by some celebs in a combination of contracts and their last wills, though meanwhile it will become less controversial over time as tends to happen with all new technologies.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
I'm just not comfortable with it.

If ever there comes a time, and I'm sure it will happen, that CGI is indistinguishable from real life, then I have no objection to making "actors" to star in films in place of humans, but make them creations of the writers/directors, don't replicate real people. To me, it's crass and classless and morally dubious.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
Yeah, but when the establishment die, we can stop hating them and give them some respect.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
TGC - All Of It
Force User
No
If they are dead do we have to pay them?

Marina deVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
Primary Account
Rank
Elite
Faction
Force User
No
Well, I was taken back and was quite impressed at recreating both Leia, Tarkin, Mon Mothma...then of course the two low-lives we see on Jedha that would later pick a fight with Luke/Obi-Wan on Tatooine...
YES, in Star Wars, it works to piece everything together. It's an ongoing saga with more stories being added to the fold. We need to occasionally see classical characters walk across the screen.

Of course I would think royalties should be paid to the estates of the original actors.
A James Dean, Yul Brynner, Hepburn resurrection to star in new movies? No. I don't feel that would be ethical.