The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Disney Schedule Shuffle: Mulan, Avatar, Star Wars & More!

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Walt Disney Studios has just made another huge shift in release plans for both WDS movies as well as 20th Century Studios, Searchlight and Lucasfilm releases. The live-action Mulan, originally shifted from March to August, is now unset. All four Avatar sequels have shifted forward a year, with Avatar 2 now bowing at the tail end of 2022. The next three Untitled Star Wars films have also moved back a year, with the next one now set to open around Christmas 2023, four years after Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

THE EMPTY MAN (20th) previously dated on 8/7/20 moves to 12/4/20

THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD (Searchlight) previously dated on 8/14/20 moves to 8/28/20 (Limited)

MULAN (Disney) previously dated on 8/21/20 is now Unset

DEATH ON THE NILE (20th) previously dated on 10/9/20 moves to 10/23/20

THE FRENCH DISPATCH (Searchlight) previously dated on 10/16/20 is now Unset

THE LAST DUEL (20th) previously dated on 12/25/20 (Limited) and 1/8/21 (Wide) moves to 10/15/21

ANTLERS (Searchlight) is now dated on 2/19/21

UNTITLED 20TH CENTURY (20th) previously dated on 10/1/21 is removed from schedule

UNTITLED 20TH CENTURY (20th) previously dated on 10/22/21 is removed from schedule

UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION (Disney) previously dated on 11/19/21 moves to 12/17/21

AVATAR 2 (20th) previously dated on 12/17/21 moves to 12/16/22

AVATAR 3 (20th) previously dated on 12/22/23 moves to 12/20/24

AVATAR 4 (20th) previously dated on 12/19/25 moves to 12/18/26

AVATAR 5 (20th) previously dated on 12/17/27 moves to 12/22/28

UNTITLED STAR WARS (Disney) previously dated on 12/16/22 moves to 12/22/23

UNTITLED STAR WARS (Disney) previously dated on 12/20/24 moves to 12/19/25

UNTITLED STAR WARS (Disney) previously dated on 12/18/26 moves to 12/17/27

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
The next round of Star Wars movies never seemed too set in stone to begin with, but I'm sad to see another delay in the Avatar sequels. While it became everybody's favorite pass time to backlash against Avatar after they turned it into the biggest movie of all-time in 2009, I greatly enjoyed the first film. Prior to its release I wasn't sold, but its also become clear that you should never underestimate James Cameron. That's why I think he's going to defy expectations again with his sequels.

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Yea, I'm not surprised about the new movie release dates being pushed back or TBA. Course, classic movies are generating good revenue for the theatres right now to keep them going for now.

Disney and Cameron have been talking about doing the Avatar sequels for awhile now. Probably since when I was working for Disney back in 2013.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Yea, I'm not surprised about the new movie release dates being pushed back or TBA. Course, classic movies are generating good revenue for the theatres right now to keep them going for now.

Disney and Cameron have been talking about doing the Avatar sequels for awhile now. Probably since when I was working for Disney back in 2013.
Actually, Disney didn't purchase Fox (which owned Avatar) until just last year (seems longer). But at Fox....which is now Disney... Cameron has been working on them for years. The first one came out at the end of 2009, so you are probably right about the 2013 date.

As far as pushing the dates of movies.... obviously it had to happen for Avatar, Star Wars, and other films that were not already completed. I think the biggest issue (so far) has been with films like Tenet, Mulan, and other big tent poles that were already in the can. Its hard to know what to do with them. All the money is in theaters, but the longer a company sits on them, the more interest they owe from the banks that backed them. And dumping them into streaming just can't pay the bills at this point. But moving forward, the longer production remains halted... the more weekends they'll have to find ways to fill during the next couple of years.

The longer this goes on, the more complicated it gets for industries like entertainment. I'd like to say that it doesn't matter. Only lives saved and lost should matter. But the longer it goes on, the more ripples in the pond for all other aspects of life...

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Actually, Disney didn't purchase Fox (which owned Avatar) until just last year (seems longer). But at Fox....which is now Disney... Cameron has been working on them for years. The first one came out at the end of 2009, so you are probably right about the 2013 date.

As far as pushing the dates of movies.... obviously it had to happen for Avatar, Star Wars, and other films that were not already completed. I think the biggest issue (so far) has been with films like Tenet, Mulan, and other big tent poles that were already in the can. Its hard to know what to do with them. All the money is in theaters, but the longer a company sits on them, the more interest they owe from the banks that backed them. And dumping them into streaming just can't pay the bills at this point. But moving forward, the longer production remains halted... the more weekends they'll have to find ways to fill during the next couple of years.

The longer this goes on, the more complicated it gets for industries like entertainment. I'd like to say that it doesn't matter. Only lives saved and lost should matter. But the longer it goes on, the more ripples in the pond for all other aspects of life...
They were still in the beginning stages of building Pandora, they were still deciding where they were going to put it back in 2013. When you are on the inside, you get to hear about things earlier than the public.