The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

DnD 5e

Hwo

Jedi Exile
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Does anyone here play Dungeons & Dragons? It always interested me growing up, but I did not have any friends that played. That's probably why I ended up on SWFans/TGC and playing games like The Fourth Coming. During lockdown, I purchased the starter kit and a few books to get started -- Player's Handbook, DM book, Monsters book, and Xanathar's. I have found some friends that are interested, but so far it has been hard to get things set up to play.

I have created a few characters that I am ready to try out. I had originally decided on a melee fighter, but I later restructured him as a vengeance paladin. Whether he is two-handed greatsword or sword and board depends on the rest of my party. But if there is someone else to tank, I would really prefer to play an arcane archer. I have historically preferred playing archers in RPGs like The Fourth Coming and dungeon crawlers like Diablo I/II/III. There is just something about the ability to do high amounts of ranged damage that always attracted me -- especially when I could kite a creature to place it couldn't pass, like a river in a game where you can't walk across water, and take it out from a safe position. I have never really enjoyed playing characters who rely primarily on magic attacks like sorcerers, wizards, etc.

Last edited:

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
My fiancé plays online in a Discord group

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I play D&D 5e Adventure League on Discord with 2 different groups, Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny with 2 different Discord groups, and about finished with my own World of Darkness rp forum.

Most of my experience playing D&D is not being the main tank; I usually play Rogue, Sorcerer, Druid, Monk, or Combination of what was mentioned before.

dndcharacters.png

Last edited:

Hwo

Jedi Exile
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
@Adira Ventress what platform are you using for your character profiles that you have screenshotted? Is that DnD Beyond?

DnD Beyond seemed great at first, but then I realized most of what I need after level 1 is inaccessible unless I purchase content from them. I purchased hard copies of all the materials, so I didn't want to spend another $100+ repurchasing digital copies of the same materials.

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
@Adira Ventress what platform are you using for your character profiles that you have screenshotted? Is that DnD Beyond?

DnD Beyond seemed great at first, but then I realized most of what I need after level 1 is inaccessible unless I purchase content from them. I purchased hard copies of all the materials, so I didn't want to spend another $100+ repurchasing digital copies of the same materials.
Yes, all my content is on DnD Beyond and my adventure log is on another site to keep track of everything else.

Chaos Maxtor

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Underworld
Does anyone here play Dungeons & Dragons? It always interested me growing up, but I did not have any friends that played. That's probably why I ended up on SWFans/TGC and playing games like The Fourth Coming. During lockdown, I purchased the starter kit and a few books to get started -- Player's Handbook, DM book, Monsters book, and Xanathar's. I have found some friends that are interested, but so far it has been hard to get things set up to play.
This is similar to why I originally came to TGC as well, but long before lockdown. I am a long time TTRPG veteran gamemaster. In fact here is my current extremely messy and unorganized collection of half painted models. lol

IMG_0335.jpg

There are many ways for you and your friends to get started in playing the game and many different ways to play. I personally do not suggest 5e or D&D Beyond (no offense, Adira) due to a number of reasons, but that's aside the point as you have already done your purchase. I have a few questions to ask so I can help you and your friends to get started.

Have you or any of your friends played a TTRPG before?
Do you and your friends understand how the system works?
Do you want it to be a insular game; meaning just you and your friends?
Does one of your friends, or are you yourself good at telling stories?
Would you rather play online?
Would you be willing to play with others that aren't in your friend group?

My most important question is: have you seen critical roll? If you have, do you know what the Matt Mercer Effect is?

Attachments

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
No worries, it is a matter of convenience for me to have everything online as I am mostly playing online, specifically on like 2 or 3 discord channels for Adventure League.

Marina deVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Was always curious as to what it were about, but didn't have friends as geeky as me to play with. So I never looked into DnD. :(

Chaos Maxtor

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Underworld
The term you want is TTRPG (Table top Roleplaying game), D&D is just one brand. It is actually a lot like what we do here on TGC but more immersive and much more rapid. The objective is quite simple: you tell a story as a group but you also have game master who guides you through a larger story (and adapting to all of the fun shenanigans the player go through, making dungeons which are really big puzzles designed by the DM...and a lot more I wont explain here HAHA!).

You create a character, you go adventuring you collect loot and try to keep it. But the best part IMO (and why it is best to do it with a live group or with friends at home) is "dropping into character". This is where your interactions are literally like TGC: instead of writing...you speak as your character and interact with everyone as your character.

There is a lot more to it...like a helluva lot more to it. But if you want to see how the game is played and have some time...here is a link to one of the most popular D&D games on youtube. It features many voice actors playing the game.

Chaos Maxtor

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Underworld
It seems that Youtube forced them to censor their character introductions, skip to around 14 mins. The videos increase in quality rapidly.

Matt (the guy above the chat box) is the Dungeon Master o Game Master, the central story teller and game judge. So he does a lot of voices and plays all of the NPCS whereas the players only have their character to advance. He is every orc enemy and every lovely bar wench that you interact with. :)

@Marina deVoe

Last edited:

Chaos Maxtor

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Underworld
Fun fact: I started watching the video I linked.

My wife asked "Who are you watching?" Mind you she is one of my players.

I replied "A Bunch of dorks"

She looked at me and said: "You mean Critical Roll, don't you? I heard RPG banter"

I didn't need to nod or say "yes"....she knew she was right. :LOL:

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Critical Role is an interesting bunch of RPGers that happen to be voice actors by trade.

What surprised me the most was the Van Diesel and Terry Crews has been shown playing D&D.

OMG just came across this!

Chaos Maxtor

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Underworld
I am not sure about how long Terry has been playing, but Vin Diesel has been known as a huge D&D geek for a long time. Look up some of the interviews with him about it. They are really funny. Now I need to watch this last vid you linked, lol

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Anybody else a fan of the show Community? Their two D&D episodes were a hoot!