The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Do you wear a watch?

Do you wear a watch?

• Yes -- traditional watch

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Yes - smart watch

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Hwo

Jedi Exile
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
It seems like more and more people are foregoing the traditional watch these days. Some say they can tell time with their phones; some have turned to smart watches which essentially puts their phone on their wrist. What say you?

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
I do not. I have my phone so I never need one

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I always wear a watch on work trips to see clients and potential clients. I inherited a decent Tag Heuer watch from my father-in-law that he bought (second-hand I might add) for my wedding day. Brand new it would have cost a good few hundred dollars but it's not one that goes up in value with age so is probably only worth around $100-$150 now if I was forced to guess.

I have a less valuable Pulsar, leather-strapped watch that I put on in the morning if I see it, but I don't wear it religiously and tend to leave it at home on days when I cycle to work.

I coach my son's football (Soccer) team on Saturday mornings and have a dirt cheap digital Casio watch that I wear for that to keep track of the time so I can make substitutions at the right time to ensure all the boys get roughly the same amount of time on the pitch.

Hwo

Jedi Exile
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I wear one out of habit, as well. The only time I do not wear a watch is in the shower. I have four that I rotate through:

Rolex Datejust 36: I bought the new model this year; I was actually one of the very first people in the US to get it because my dealer didn't know she was supposed to hold it for another week or so. I wear this 80% of the time. I wear it to work, to court, going out, etc. More often than not, this is the one on my wrist. The small 36mm size has grown on me a lot, and now my other watches feel large at 40mm and 38mm. I have it on right now.
Oris Diver's Sixty-Five: This is my outdoor watch. I wear it hiking/camping or when doing manual labor around the house. I also wear it to the gym, when I go running, or when I go swimming. It's probably too nice to be relegated to that position, but I am a pretty active person, so it gets worn for at least an hour every day when I exercise.
Hamilton Intramatic 38: This is my black leather watch. I love it, but it doesn't get much wear since I bought the Rolex. I wear it to court when I am in black shoes and the jury is present or to the rare black tie event. Truthfully, I would sell it if I could get any money for it. But it is simple and beautiful.
Tissot mechanical dress watch: I don't remember the exact model. This was my first "adult" 38mm mechanical leather band dress watch after wearing an oversized Fossil and G-Shock for a few years. My wife bought it for me for interviews in law school. I still wear it to court anytime I am in front of a jury (unless I have on my Hamilton, but I wear brown leather much more than black). It is by far my cheapest watch, but it is the only one with sentimental value. I call it my good luck watch.

Cambria Zadira

A Blue Guardian Angel
Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
I do at work as it is a necessity for my job. At home, I just use my cellphone.

S

Santeria Decuir

I have several different types of watches; I usually wear one when traveling. I have a Versace watch that comes out only on special occasions though. And speaking of watches, I still have the very first watch I ever had which is a Bambi watch that came from the Disney store.

N

Nathaniel Alcine

I wear one at work, mostly because I feel like my wrist looks naked in a dress shirt without one. LOL

Koga

Lady Incendia - Sith Master
Staff member
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
@Santeria Decuir Out of curiosity, does the Bambi watch still work? I had a friend with a very old Mickey watch that just stopped maybe a few years ago. But it lasted longer than most!

Marck Vallen

Jedi Master
Staff member
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I wouldn't mind getting a smart watch in the future, but currently I don't own either.

J

Jack Daniels

I'm counting my fitbit as a smart watch. Due to anxiety and heart issues, I have to keep track of the heart rate monitor (same thing when I exercise).

Rogue Steiner

The Old Man
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Standard military Aquaforce watch I've had for about 3 years now. And yes, I wear it backwards. If you don't know why we do that: when holding a rifle we can see the time due to mission timelines. At least why a majority of us wear it that way.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Its strange to think about the fate of the watch. These days the cell phone have made them all but obsolete for all but a handful of situations - sports, military, as a status symbol ect.... These days I only wear a watch while running, but as a younger man I was almost never without one. At 38 years old, I didn't have a cell phone until after I was out of college. But I can remember once losing my watch in a cardboard box while working my summer job on the "box line" at one of the largest ground beef producers on the east coast. It was found, but it could have made its way out of the factory into a box headed as far away as Japan. Before that, in school, I can remember watching the minutes tick by between classes. My wrist watch was also my stop watch during track and cross country practice. Oh how quickly the world changes.. I'm 38 and already feel "out of place" with some technology. Imagine being 80, 90, 100... in today's world.

Last edited:

Marina deVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
I've worn watches on and off. Honestly speaking, they usually come off when the battery is shot. Then i go for awhile without one as I rarely try to replace said battery.
Currently I sport an iwatch. But ironically I left it charging at home today. I'll prolly keep wearing it till it breaks or the battery stops charging altogether. It was a X-mas gift.