The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Dune (Discussion Thread)

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction

^ our first look at the upcoming new film adaptation of Dune. Anybody excited or interested?

Director Denis Villeneuve is quickly becoming the king of serious sci fi film making. Hoping this one is brilliant.

Last edited:

Mak Manto

Rogue Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I'm very excited. Read Dune as a teenager, so I'll need to read it again.

I loved Arrival, so this will be an interesting chance to have an amazing film.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
Not my cup of tea at all. I couldn’t even finish the wiki plot synopsis. But I bet @Muad Dib is excited!

Last edited:

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
Well right now we aren’t even allowed at the theater so the point is moot until then lol

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I'm very excited. The cast and the Director look incredible, the story is one of the greatest. What could go wrong?!

Admittedly, the 1980s one went wrong but I don't know a great deal about the director of that one and the cast wasn't the stellar lineup this year's boasts.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Well right now we aren’t even allowed at the theater so the point is moot until then lol
To be fair, a lot of theatrical movies are going direct to streaming right now (though i haven't bought any)

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Admittedly, the 1980s one went wrong but I don't know a great deal about the director of that one and the cast wasn't the stellar lineup this year's boasts.
The 80's version was directed by David Lynch, a legend in his own right.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
To be fair, a lot of theatrical movies are going direct to streaming right now (though i haven't bought any)
Did you see Disney released Mulan and only made like $875.00? Not thousand. Hundred.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Ah yes, David Lynch. I remember now. Still, don't think he did a great job with Dune.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Ah yes, David Lynch. I remember now. Still, don't think he did a great job with Dune.
Many agree with you. But hey, it was a different time, and I tend to think that even these failed adaptations of books in the last, in the end, help turn people on to the books and eventually lead to new films.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Yeah, that must be true. I'm sure the film has inspired at least some people to read the books. Dune actually features quite regularly in meme culture, largely featuring images from the 1980s movie. I suspect a lot of the largely millennials spreading this stuff first experienced Dune through the movie and some would have gone on to read the books.

I'm struggling to get into God Emperor of Dune at the moment, but I will persist.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Remakes, reboots, sequels and the like.... tend to get bad wrap in most cases because so many of them don't turn to to be that great. But they have an interesting side effect. Whenever they are made, even if they are bad, they...without fail, increase interest and love for the originals. People have this weird idea that they tarnish the original. But more often they are simply forgotten.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Still pumped for this. I'll say it again, great cast, great director, great story AND Hans Zimmer. A lot to get excited about.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Still pumped for this. I'll say it again, great cast, great director, great story AND Hans Zimmer. A lot to get excited about.
I suspect the film will be great, but i'm worried just like his Blade Runner sequel, it just won't get the kind of gross it needs. Gross doesn't matter so much with Blade Runner, which was always a bit of a "cult hit," but Dune has an existing book franchise at risk, and the movie only covers about half of the first novel. I don't want this to be another "false start" for a franchise whose time in the spotlight is long over due. I'm hoping for a critical and financial hit that finally gets the franchise going...

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I suspect the film will be great, but i'm worried just like his Blade Runner sequel, it just won't get the kind of gross it needs. Gross doesn't matter so much with Blade Runner, which was always a bit of a "cult hit," but Dune has an existing book franchise at risk, and the movie only covers about half of the first novel. I don't want this to be another "false start" for a franchise whose time in the spotlight is long over due. I'm hoping for a critical and financial hit that finally gets the franchise going...
The potential is huge. As well as the 6 Frank Herbert books you've got the less impressive work by his son. Even if you ignore that, any writer fancy flexing their own creativity has thousands of years between books 3 and 4 to exploit, covering the reign (tyranny?) of God Emperor Leto.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
All of the studios are hunting for Franchises right now. They are all the rage for throwing money at. This one is ripe for the picking. Its success is important. If its a hit it opens the door for so many other others to finally get a chance.