The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Fans Rallying for a 'Solo' Sequel

Chaos Maxtor

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Underworld
Give it another shot. Forget for a moment that its Star Wars or Han Solo. Then it becomes a fun romp through space.
I will give it another shot, myself. No offense, but when I watch it I wont pretend that it isn't Star Wars.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I will give it another shot, myself. No offense, but when I watch it I wont pretend that it isn't Star Wars.
It's about to get its second chance with me. I'm going through all the films from Episode 1 to The Rise of Skywalker with the kids. We've just finished Revenge of the Sith, so next up is Solo. The kids have seen everything once before apart from the Disney releases, of which they've only seen The Force Awakens.

Marina deVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Hate to beat it to death...but give me another Rogue One like production and I'll be a happy puppy.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Hate to beat it to death...but give me another Rogue One like production and I'll be a happy puppy.
Why I liked Rogue One... as did many..... i think it speaks directly to the challenge that Disney, and Lucas before them, face when working with old franchises and Star Wars especially.

Star Wars was built on innovation. 40+ year old Episode IV looks traditional now, but it was absolutely cutting edge when it was released, as were the prequels 16 years later.

By the time we got to Force Awakens we had JJ Abrams talking about making a film that looks more like classic star wars. But it was Rogue One that actually did it.

Fine, so people like Rogue One. But Star Wars can't be Star Wars forever by living in the past. Lucas knew this. He may have created the biggest commercial blockbusters, but he always thought like an independent artist. An independent artist does what they want. If the fans happen to come along... cool. But if you spend all of your time trying to pander to the fans you'll inevitably find that yourself one step behind them at every turn... because they don't actually understand what they want.

Rogue One worked. Solo was meant to be another Rogue One. It didn't work. Why? Because we'd already seen Rogue One and the audience had moved on by the time Solo came out.

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Sure that an angle.
But Rogue one had new starring characters.
Solo was our beloved scoundrel turned hero, Han. We all envisioned Han in our own way through the years and books that were written exploiting his saga before and after he ran into Luke.
We who grew up discovering Han in ANH and the following trilogy expected more from our beloved Han...from the movie Solo.
I believe it fell short of our own expectation at we expected.

I don't really know what I wished to see, but I envisioned him wholeheartedly being an Imperial at first and through the atrocities that he saw with his own eyes, Han deserted. Anyway, I expected more too from lando. Solo just wasn't up to par as what I had in my head all these decades.
Rogue One?..On the MONEY!!!

meh.. :p

Kane E Smart

Mandalorian, Beskar Pirate
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Underworld
I wasn’t overly interested in seeing it, but got convinced and I’m glad I did. Was bloody good, I’ve now watched it three times.

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
I don't disagree that if it were a stand alone science fiction it's a great film. Just that my vision of what I expected, conflicts with what was presented.

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
The technology to produce such an epic is still some years away....

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Just that my vision of what I expected, conflicts with what was presented.

That's okay. Lots of people feel that way. Its natural. But you kind of have to learn to either 1) Get Over It, or 2) Move on completely.

No artist is under any obligation to cater to or meet the expectations of the audience. First, its impossible to satisfy everybody's expectations because everybody has different expectations. But you also have to consider that the act of even attempting to pander to expectations will ultimately end up being destructive.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Sure that an angle.
But Rogue one had new starring characters.
Solo was our beloved scoundrel turned hero, Han. We all envisioned Han in our own way through the years and books that were written exploiting his saga before and after he ran into Luke.
We who grew up discovering Han in ANH and the following trilogy expected more from our beloved Han...from the movie Solo.
I believe it fell short of our own expectation at we expected.

I don't really know what I wished to see, but I envisioned him wholeheartedly being an Imperial at first and through the atrocities that he saw with his own eyes, Han deserted. Anyway, I expected more too from lando. Solo just wasn't up to par as what I had in my head all these decades.
Rogue One?..On the MONEY!!!

meh.. :p
I think that's the biggest problem, Rogue One was almost a blank canvas character-wise. The hate the Disney trilogy gets, and Solo to some extent, is largely because of what they did to the existing and well-loved characters. Who knows, had I never seen Episodes 4-6 I might have loved 7-9, but having seen 4-6 and building up the characters in my head, when 7-9 shat all over those ideas it didn't sit well.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Its all about perspective. Experience gives us more information to go on, but innocence gives a more pure impression. The trick is being able to separate the two and take a balanced look.

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
That's actually almost impossible to do.
One can't be objective by saying to themselves to be objective. Once that bell is rung, it is impossible to un-ring it.
EP4 and especially 5 were mind blowing when one first experienced them, before the others followed. It is what all other SW films are compared to with those who experienced this phenomenon in that order.

And Han will always shoot first in my mind. It were what he was before he rose up to become our hero.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
That's actually almost impossible to do.
Not True.

One can't be objective by saying to themselves to be objective. Once that bell is rung, it is impossible to un-ring it.
Not true.

EP4 and especially 5 were mind blowing when one first experienced them, before the others followed.
You just proved my point. People didn't all experience them at the same time. If you experience these films for the first time today they look old, tired and outdated.

And Han will always shoot first in my mind. It were what he was before he rose up to become our hero.
Your mind. Not the mind of much younger people

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
You just proved my point. People didn't all experience them at the same time. If you experience these films for the first time today they look old, tired and outdated.
Do you think so? I think they've dated really well, I guess that's the advantage of using models rather than 1970s tech, what we saw on screen was essentially what was filmed, and as they did a great job envisaging a technologically advanced galaxy far, far away, it still looks like a technologically advanced galaxy far, far away. My kids have been raised on HD TV and green screen cinema but they don't see the OT as outdated.

I was actually relatively late to the Star Wars world. I still remember it clearly. It was New Years Day 1999. I grew up in a village, next door but one to my best mate, a few hundred yards away from another best mate and within half a mile of three other good mates. However, for some reason on that day, every one of my friends was away, one was skiing with his family as he always did that time of the year and the others were out of the county visiting family. Suffice to say I was bored shitless. I was a 13 year old boy, I'd become a teenager only two days before, popular at school, well into sports and if you'd asked me what I thought about Star Wars that morning, I'd have probably said it's for geeks. My Dad liked them and owned the Special Edition Trilogy on video and would often say it's criminal I hadn't watched them. Anyway, that day I was moaning about being bored so he said, you may as well watch Star Wars then, particularly as it was in the build up the The Phantom Menace and Star Wars was rarely out of the news.

Anyway, I watched A New Hope and within minutes was utterly absorbed. I watched Empire Strikes Back the next day (and had actually managed to live 13 years and 3 days without knowing Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father, that's how little I cared about Star Wars as a child) and actually ran out of my bedroom to the stairs and said, "Oh my god, Darth Vader is Luke's Dad?!". I then watched Return of the Jedi the following day and then all of a sudden went mental crazy anticipating TPM's release. I probably re-watched the Trilogy a dozen times between then and TPM's release.

So unlike a lot of people, I was introduced to Star Wars not with adult eyes, but certainly not with the child's eyes that most people are introduced to it through. I don't know whether that's altered my perspective somewhat, but it doesn't bother me whether Han shot first or not, I don't find Jar-Jar annoying and I actually quite like the prequel trilogy (well, two out of three, AOTC, urgh). I adore Rogue One.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not one of these die hard OT fans that think everything Star Wars since is shit.

But I still think the Disney Trilogy is bad. TFA was decent, I enjoyed that, but the other two? Urgh.

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
I remember cheering when Snokes told Kylo to remove that ridiculous mask of his in Last Jedi.
That was the best scene I can recall liking/enjoying of the Disney versions.