The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Favorite James Bond

Who is your favorite James Bond?

• Sean Connery

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • David Niven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Lazenby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roger Moore

• Timothy Dalton

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Pierce Brosnan

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Daniel Craig

• Total voters

Rogue Steiner

The Old Man
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Jedi Order
Force User
Yes
There has been 6 official, 1 unofficial, James Bonds since 1962. Who is your favorite?

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
I'm torn between Dalton and Connery, but as no one will vote Timothy I've given him mine. Massively underrated Bond, brought some grittiness to the role with the usual humour. And as he only did two films and both were good, he doesn't have the black mark of appearing in a dud.

If I'm being honest, my order goes;

1. Connery
2. Dalton
3. Moore
4. Brosnan
5. Craig
6. Lazenby

I don't count Niven.

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
I grew up with Roger Moore being 007. It seems that i will typically pick to watch Live or Let Die over the others.

Rogue Steiner

The Old Man
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Jedi Order
Force User
Yes
I'm torn between Dalton and Connery, but as no one will vote Timothy I've given him mine. Massively underrated Bond, brought some grittiness to the role with the usual humour. And as he only did two films and both were good, he doesn't have the black mark of appearing in a dud.

If I'm being honest, my order goes;

1. Connery
2. Dalton
3. Moore
4. Brosnan
5. Craig
6. Lazenby

I don't count Niven.
Do you not count Niven because it was a non-Eon film?

I totally against with Lazenby at the bottom. "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" I believe is the worst Bond of all times. It should be cleared from the history books.

And you put Brosnan over Craig?

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
Yep, without Broccoli endorsement it doesn't count.

Not a popular opinion, but do not like Daniel Craig's Bond. I think it's more the way the character is written than how he acts it but he's just been made too human. For me, Bond is escapism, I enjoy the high-octane, unrealistic action hero. His wife dies (in that awful movie) and we see him visit the graveside for a moment in the next film, For Your Eyes Only, and that's it. Mourning done.

Craig's Bond is more human, more real and it doesn't appeal to me at all. Plus, Quantum of Solace and Spectre were awful movies. I grew up loving James Bond from quite a young age, and I loved the pithy, unfeeling, hardness or the character. Now we've got a bit of a moper, dwelling on Vesper with significant mummy issues. Ok, it's a character more people can empathise with, but for me the whole point of Bond was that you couldn't (or certainly shouldn't!) empathise with him. He was sort of demi-god of a character. They went as far down that emotional route as they should have done with Dalton in Licence to Kill, when he was driven by vengeance for his buddy Felix and his wife, but again, once the mission was done it was all back to normal.

I don't want Bond to be more human!

Curt Falnath

Pirate Captain
Staff member
Primary Account
Rank
Elite
Faction
Force User
No
Pierce Brosnan is the Bond of my childhood, and thus holds a special place in my heart.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
Yeah, I do quite like the Brosnan Bond, although his films left a little to be desired. Goldeneye was absolutely brilliant, probably in my Top 5 Bond movies, but the other three were a little bit meh. Still, better Craig's two meh films, although Die Another Day does run them close. That was whack.

Curt Falnath

Pirate Captain
Staff member
Primary Account
Rank
Elite
Faction
Force User
No
I actually really love Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough, but like I said, I was a kid, so a lot is nostalgia.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
There were bits of both that I thought were great. Teri Hatcher getting her kit off and Jonathan Pryce played a great baddy in Tomorrow Never Dies. The two Robbies, Coltrane and Carlyle, were great in The World is Not Enough (they needed something to compensate Goldie and Denise Richards!). So they were both definitely well above Craig's woeful two movies in my eyes.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
Daniel Craig

No offense to the history, but I like the franchise better with its current realism.

Marina deVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
Primary Account
Rank
Elite
Faction
Force User
No
I'd have to go with Sean Connery and the villains of the time. They set the standards for future spy movies.

Hwo

Jedi Exile
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
I've seen all of them several times, and I like all of the Bond actors. I agree with @Danster Bokoto that Dalton is highly underrated. I also agree with @General Ceel that the current state of the franchise is the best. But I do love the old ones, too. My favorites of the originals are Dr. No and License to Kill. I've seen Dr. No more times than any other Bond film. I am abstaining from voting because I cannot decide.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Primary Account
Rank
Master
Faction
Force User
Yes
I find that surprising; most people I know who loved Bond growing up share my view of the Craig years. Fans of the newer films tend to be people who weren't really that into Bond before Craig. They're good movies, they're just not Bond movies.