The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Motorsports on TGC

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I'm hoping that it will be more than just ole Ceel and Danster involved in this thread. One of my favorite things is Motorsports, and on TGC this will be the catch all thread to talk about it week by week as races across multiple series take place.

Please feel free to post relevant news and video as the action happen, and fill the spaces in between with opinions and discussion.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Nasty wreck last night on the final lap of the reschedueled 2020 Daytona 500. Ryan Newman was in the worst crash Nascar has seen in years, going over 200 miles per hour when he was bumped, went air born, flipped, and was hit in the driver's side while still upside down. Nascar's top series hasn't suffered a fatality since Daytona 2001, and after being pulled from the car and rushed to the hospital it looks like Ryan Newman will survive, though little is known about his condition at this point.

I've seen wrecks in the last decade that looked far worse with the driver walking away unharmed. These cars have become very safe, even at high speeds (and they purposely began slowing the cars down in the late 80's), but every once in awhile there is a wake up call like this.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
and earlier this week in Texas, IndyCar did testing for the 2020 season. Notice this year's new addition, the windshield...

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
In Formula 1 land 2020 "car launches" have been taking place this past week:

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Extended highlights from Daytona 500 last night. All in all, its been an action packed 14 days of "speed weeks" between the ARCA race, Bush Clash, the twin 125's, Truck Series, Xfinity and the 500! But I'm looking forward to getting down to the long business of season. Next weekend Nascar goes to Vegas to begin the "west coast swing."

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Formula E is becoming a great spectacle. Not a fan of the engine noise but it's great racing.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Formula E is becoming a great spectacle. Not a fan of the engine noise but it's great racing.
I'm a big proponent of electric vehicles on the road, but this racing series has most of the same issues that make it difficult for me to warm up to F1.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I'm a big proponent of electric vehicles on the road, but this racing series has most of the same issues that make it difficult for me to warm up to F1.
Like what? Plenty of overtaking in Formula E and you even get some decent knocks without the cars disintegrating.

Quel-Jin Lorn

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I stopped watching Formula 1 with the onset of the V6 hybrid era. Lame engine sound, and boring races. The advent of DRS ironically had the opposite of its intended effect by making overtakes boring and predictable.

I decided if I want to watch cars that sound like vacuum cleaners win races, I'll just watch WEC/Le Mans. At least the racing is good and the outcome isn't totally predictable.

If I inexplicably come down with the burning desire to watch Lewis Hamilton win races, I'll watch F1.

I think the most exciting thing to watch right now is Rallycross.

Seriously, will you ever see something like this in F1?

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
There is little doubt that F1 has become something like panning for gold. You have to sift through a lot of gravel but you'll eventually find a nugget of a race.

The reason its popularity endures I think comes from a mentality that people want to see the best. It's why men's sports are generally watched in much larger numbers than their female equivalents, because the audience knows they are watching the best. A lot of Americans will argue it, but Formula 1 is the pinnacle of single-seater racing and whilst other single-seater formulas are undoubtedly more exciting in their racing, there is always that caveat that its sub-standard compared to F1. For sure, you might be the GP2 champion, but that's only because the best drivers aren't racing in it.

For me, it's a habitual thing; I was a huge F1 fan as a child and its just rolled into adulthood, despite its myriad flaws.

Quel-Jin Lorn

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
For me, it's a habitual thing; I was a huge F1 fan as a child and its just rolled into adulthood, despite its myriad flaws.
Same here, I started watching F1 during the Schumacher/Hakkinen rivalry, and that was what got me into it. Part of what made that era exciting was that there was some actual competition for the championship, not like the past several years of F1. Right now it's Mercedes, and before that, Red Bull. Of course the Schumacher years would eventually have the same issues as well, but that was simply because Michael as a driver was just so far ahead of everyone else and those championships were deserved. It's not that I think Lewis Hamilton isn't a great driver but it's so obvious that Mercedes is leagues ahead of everyone else in development and has been since 2014. F1 is a team sport, and it's going to be the best *team* that wins... not necessarily the best driver.

F1 drivers being the best in the world is definitely a conceit of the sport, and while I would argue that rally drivers could possibly outmatch F1 drivers in terms of overall driving ability, F1 is definitely the most technologically advanced motorsport in the world. And we've seen F1 drivers do well in Indycar, but not really the other way around. So yeah, F1 is probably the pinnacle of single-seater racing, at least in terms of technology and relative driver ability.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I started loving it in 1992 with Nigel Mansell finally getting one of the most well-deserved world titles ever.

In fairness to Hamilton, I actually think that in 2018 the Ferrari was the better car, they just completely mucked it up through strategic errors or Vettel mistakes.

You can't read too much into pre-season testing, but the early signs are that we're looking at another dominant year for Mercedes and a yawn-fest of a title race.

I'll still watch though.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Looks like Pagenaud couldn't cope with F1 driver Lando Norris schooling the Indycar drivers at their own game, albeit in an e-sports environment, so deliberately crashed him out of the lead. Only e-sports but not a great look and it had garnered some decent attention here.

Now the impression is Indycar drivers are second rate to F1 drivers And spoilt brats to boot.