The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Movies You Want To See

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
What is coming out that excites you?

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
I was super excited for Bad Boys For Life and it was awesome.

I thought The Turning looked good but I just read the plot and now I’m not so sure.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Long term I'm eagerly awaiting the Avatar sequels and whatever happens next with Star Wars.

Short term - A Quiet Place 2 is the next one on my radar.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I didn't get to see Bad Boys 4 at the cinema, so will be watching that as soon as I can.

As for cinema releases, only one thing is on my mind; DUNE!!! The first Dune book is so good. I've read Books 2 and 3 and enjoyed them too, but the first is just brilliant. The 1980s film didn't really live up to it and was, if we're being honest, a bit s**t.

However, I've high hopes for this one, the cast looks great and Denis Villeneuve is fantastic.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Dune needs to do well. The film only covers the first half of the book and he intends to do a second. If it tanks the Dune will go back into relative obscurity (aside from book fans.) If it succeeds there is a good chance for more of the books being adapted into films and shows. Its a pretty important moment. Success, or a couple more decades waiting for somebody to get the green light to try again...

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Fingers crossed. I started reading the fourth book this week. I did enjoy the second and third books in the saga, but they don't touch the first one. So, so good.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Actually, I forgot about Maverick, in my shame, I am well up for that.

Tom Cruise is a dickhead for sure, but I loved Top Gun and watching the trailer for Maverick and the slowed down version of the Top Gun theme gave me goosebumps.

Mak Manto

Rogue Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I sometimes forget that Avatar was the highest grossing film of all time for a decade, yet we're still waiting for a sequel...

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I didn't rate it, much to Ceel's annoyance, and I think it's popularity was largely down to the well marketed new 3D technology that was implemented. Sure, there had been a handful of reasonable-sized budget films with 3D in the years beforehand, but this was the first film with an A-List director, gargantuan budget and marketing strategy that had a well-publicised new 3D tech. This intrigued the general population and it became the water cooler topic of conversation in the office. This in turn bought people to the cinema in their droves, not necessarily because the film was all that good, but because people wanted to experience this new cinematic experience.

That's just my theory anyway. I apply the "My Dad Test" to it. He rarely goes to the cinema. He watches a lot of films from the comfort of his own home, but rarely goes to the cinema. He went for Avatar. He went for Titantic, he went for Endgame, despite having not been for any other MCU movie. Some films just acquire a status that makes everyone go because they feel they should. It rarely has anything to do with how good the movie is. I listed those three because they are, in my opinion, perfect examples of it. The top three grossing movies of all time. Having watched it at the cinema, I've not managed to sit through Avatar the whole way since. I watched Titanic at the cinema because I was 11 or 12 and wanted to see Kate Winslet's boobies. I watched it again round a friend's house a few years later and thought it was garbage. I enjoyed Endgame, but it's not even the best MCU movie.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I think decision-makers need to be very wary easing lockdown restrictions too soon. A nasty second wave will be more economically-damaging that sitting tight for an week or two now.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
In 1 to 2 weeks we're going to have the highest infection and death rates yet in the USA. They announced a plan a couple of weeks ago but most states are electing to break it. Its about to get really bad.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Blimey, we seem to be over the worst of it here. Still around 600 daily deaths but seems to be consistently decreasing from almost 1,000 dead a day a week or two back. We've got one of the worst death rates in Europe mind you (I think 2nd worst) and we had more warning than many of our European neighbours, which is almost entirely down to government mishandling of the crisis.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Blimey, we seem to be over the worst of it here. Still around 600 daily deaths but seems to be consistently decreasing from almost 1,000 dead a day a week or two back. We've got one of the worst death rates in Europe mind you (I think 2nd worst) and we had more warning than many of our European neighbours, which is almost entirely down to government mishandling of the crisis.

No vaccine. Billions without dependable antibodies. You're numbers will go right back up the moment you reopen if that reopening isn't tempered by the near impossible task of frequent-mass-testing. Its a virus. Spreading is what virus' do.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
No vaccine. Billions without dependable antibodies. You're numbers will go right back up the moment you reopen if that reopening isn't tempered by the near impossible task of frequent-mass-testing. Its a virus. Spreading is what virus' do.
This is so true. I don’t know what can be done honestly. Without a vaccine it will keep killing. But if we don’t open back up the country a lot of people go into poverty. So it’s a lose lose.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction