The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

My dissertation is killing me

Marina deVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
You mean like real references that validate your paper?
Feth that then, if they actually check.
I mean...well, I bull foddered my character's education...and...and the little droid didn't check it. TGC in general took my word on it...hehe
So maybe the peeps who say they go over the dissertation are themselves as lazy and really don't. i'd say then, to fluff up the dissertation with a lot of made up fodder, like 3,000 pages. That assures it won't get scrutinized under a fine tooth comb. Yea? :D

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
Yea you don’t get to count your title pages a d references pages in your page count. At least not in my department. There is no official length it has to be. They always say “it takes what it takes” meaning you need to make a well reasoned argument and then a well planned and executed study followed by a well thought out conclusion. Whatever it takes you to do that is what you get.

You are forced to look it over page by page, line by line, (at least in this department) because there is a form you have to fill out and send to the registrar that tracks every change made from your proposal to conclusion. Your advisor also has to fill out a copy of this so you best well do it because if yours doesn’t match your advisors they certainly aren’t going to believe your side over their esteemed faculty.

So for my thesis for one of my masters degrees it was 357 pages plus references, charts, title pages, etc. I did this thesis on virtual reality and sadly my committee was not very familiar so “it took what it took” to really explain the literature to them. They needed pages to describe what an “avatar” was etc.

The hope is that for this project I won’t have to go overboard explaining because I was lucky enough to secure members of the FDA and WHO to my committee. They are very familiar with health communication and shouldn’t need me to spell it out in such length the way I had to with my thesis. So I’m actually hopping for shorter this time.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
i'd say then, to fluff up the dissertation with a lot of made up fodder, like 3,000 pages. That assures it won't get scrutinized under a fine tooth comb. Yea? :D
Absolutely not. You will NEVER get it published that way. If you come out and your dissertation can’t be turned into around 3-4 publications you wasted your time.

of course then you have to take that huge document and find a way to cut it down to the 10ish pages a journal wants.

it’s a nightmare really.

I just want to teach *cries*. That’s why I’m doing this.

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Aww, I know. :(
I was just trying to make light of a nettling task. It's my forte'. :D
Honestly speaking, I would be pulling my hair out also. But you seem to have some good support behind you. Of course that won't make your task any easier, but at least you know they will be objective about it.
Wish you the best, little droid. :)

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
Aww, I know. :(
I was just trying to make light of a nettling task. It's my forte'. :D
Honestly speaking, I would be pulling my hair out also. But you seem to have some good support behind you. Of course that won't make your task any easier, but at least you know they will be objective about it.
Wish you the best, little droid. :)
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
That's so sweet. :D
Here... *extends out a USB charging cord to the little droid from her portable battery pack*
You can share my iphone charge pack power with me. :)

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Ok, ok...easy goes it little fella. Sip it slow, or my pack is liable to overheat. Okies? :)

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
*zooms around like a droid on crack*

Marina deVoe