The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

NFL Football - 2020 News/Discussion

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
This thread intended as the one stop shop for news and discussion on TGC this season. Feel free to post news, results, opinions or whatever....

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Early days but the Chiefs look ominously good. A repeat is certainly on the cards.

Hwo

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Kansas City did look good.

But I was ready to turn the game off before kickoff. I had forgotten how much I hate the NFL. I much prefer college.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I had forgotten how much I hate the NFL. I much prefer college.
Pretty much the only aspect of either that I follow these days are my two favorite Pennsylvania teams... The Steelers and Penn State.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I'd consider getting into college football but the coverage in the UK is rubbish, whereas the NFL gets plenty of attention.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
So weird watching Brady in colours that aren't New England.

Reactions: Hwo

Hwo

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Brady's move was weird. I would have retired and taken my position as one of the best ever rather than risk a couple of years of embarrassment at a traditionally bad Tampa Bay team.

I felt bad for Burrow. He didn't have a great game, but it was decent. Driving the ball down the field for your kicker to miss a gimme FG is tough. I think that may be the first game he lost since 9th grade or something?

If you just watch the NFL games on mute, it isn't bad. And forget the NFL pregame shows. College football pregame shows, especially College GameDay, are so much fun. The NFL pregame is so annoying and irrelevant to football. Before my fantasy draft, I turned to the NFL network to get some advice. During the fantasy football preview show, they spent 20 minutes talking about Kirk Cousins's position on masks. At no point during the 20 minutes did they give me any advice on who to select for my fantasy team. At the games, I now have to sit through two national anthems, along with commentary about who is standing or kneeling for each, which team didn't take the field and why, etc., etc. I just do not care. I watch football to see football. And it's not that the guys are taking positions counter to my own beliefs; their positions on these issues are not what annoys me. It's the fact that I can't watch the game without them taking a moment between each play to shove a political statement down my throat. This is why a lot of folks have been turned off of the NBA the last several years.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I'd consider getting into college football but the coverage in the UK is rubbish, whereas the NFL gets plenty of attention.
That sucks. Here there is more college Football to be found on TV than there is professional. If you have a favorite team, I'd argue that the top (division 1) college level might be more interesting than the pros, at least during the regular season. The stadiums are often bigger, and having thousands of students in the stands and their school marching bands.... there is just the sense that everybody wants to be there.

The weak point in college football is the post-season. Because there are so many schools and different leagues it all gets pretty convoluted as far as trying to declare a national champion.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Brady's move was weird. I would have retired and taken my position as one of the best ever rather than risk a couple of years of embarrassment at a traditionally bad Tampa Bay team.
There is nothing unique here. Plenty of players have had sterling careers and then tried to hang on for a few more years with a different team. But I'd argue that there is no embarrassment. Yes, there is money involved, but I don't doubt that they all still think they can get it done one more time. And if it turns out that they fail.... after a few years nobody will remember. They'll only remember the success.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
So weird watching Brady in colours that aren't New England.
Kind of. But to be fair, especially in the quarter back position, plenty of superstars have finished out their careers somewhere other than where they spent most of it. Its not that uncommon, especially for the most famous ones.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
My Steelers moved to 2-0 yesterday with a win over the Denver Broncos. The defense looked impressive, as expected, but did flounder a bit later in the game. On offense the wide receivers look strong again, but the running game was weak. A promising start to the season, but they're gonna have to clean things up if hope to be great this season.