The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Peacock?

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Anybody try it yet?

I haven't. No big secret that I'm not a big streamer, but I'm actually kind of tempted (if they sort things out with Roku) to subscribe for a month or two. Not necessarily for new stuff, but for some of the TV back catalog.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
It amazes me how many streaming platforms you have over there, but I guess where the US goes the UK follows so it could be a sign of things to come.

Over here your options are basically Netflix, Amazon Prime and now Disney +. And then there are a few subscription TV services like Sky.

You guys have loads to choose from don't you?

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Too many I think, with very little quality material. Streaming platiforms have been caught on multiple occasions of changing or editing classic movies to fit with modern society.

Marina deVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
YES!
I noticed that on quite a few favorite classics...even some modern ones that were made just a decade ago.
And these edits are not by the producers like in the SW films, these are edits of scenes by the network. Censorship in what should be a free artistic society.

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Yes, that is why to have physical copies. Course eventually physical copies might become banned material in the future.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
It amazes me how many streaming platforms you have over there, but I guess where the US goes the UK follows so it could be a sign of things to come.

Over here your options are basically Netflix, Amazon Prime and now Disney +. And then there are a few subscription TV services like Sky.

You guys have loads to choose from don't you?
There are a handful of majors that will be the only ones left standing when the "streaming wars" finish playing out. But there are loads of smaller services, most of which won't survive in their current forms in the long run. They'll have to merge to survive, acquiring niche catalogs that the bigger players don't want, and then hopefully finding some funding to create more.

I also see the line between "streaming service" and "cable / satellite" TV blur to the point where you can't tell them apart. I have Spectrum Cable and the amount of "on demand" content is growing, and in those "on demand" menus they are adding access points to many streaming services, so the cable menu is basically becoming a streaming player.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I still buy physical media (blu ray, the occasional DVD, and CD's.) I still buy them, admittedly not as often as I once did, because I like to have a copy of my favorite material.

While I'm no fan of the material getting edited or removed for censorship reasons, i'm also not overly concerned about it. Very little of it is at risk of being permanently 'cancelled.' Famous titles are worth too much money for the rights holders to resist. Most will just get a content warning that nobody pays attention to. And a market is sure to develop for "uncensored" versions of these materials. I also don't believe that the current trend of pretending to suddenly care about what happened in old films will last very long. That's just how society works. Action leads to overreactions, but then the backlash gains the upper hand. Ultimately people lose interest in pretending to be shocked.