The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Positive Side-Effects of the Pandemic?

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
We're coming up on 12 crazy months on planet Earth. The effects the pandemic and attempting to deal with it have been overwhelmingly negative in obvious ways.

That said, have you noticed/experienced (or are you predicting) any positive side-effects from this whole situation?

I'll have several, but the first one that comes to mind is the positive effect it has had on the music world for me. On one hand, all of my favorite bands have been kept off of the road, unable to tour. But on the positive side, because their usual multi-year touring cycles have been interrupted many of them have found time to record albums. Primary bands have recorded their next albums early, while side projects have been resurrected or formed for the very first time.

I predict that something similar is happening with books, tv and movie scripts. At home with nothing but time, although production was closed down, the writers creating this stuff must have run out of excuses to finally devote time to their pet projects... to say nothing of stories that must have been inspired by the world we've been living in.

A

Admin

I got to complete my PHD classes online, which worked extremely well as we had to relocate right before the pandemic started and I was not sure if I would have to drop out.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I think handshakes might disappear. I've come to prefer the old elbow touch greeting and it's far more pleasant than grabbing and shaking someone's hand, who may or may not have washed their hands on their last visit to the bathroom, or given their arse a good scratch just before entering the room.

No more handshakes!

Hwo

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
I think handshakes might disappear. I've come to prefer the old elbow touch greeting and it's far more pleasant than grabbing and shaking someone's hand, who may or may not have washed their hands on their last visit to the bathroom, or given their arse a good scratch just before entering the room.

No more handshakes!
Handshakes are fine to me. I'm not a germaphobe. I want the hug to go away. I hug my wife, and I hug my mom. If you aren't those two people, a handshake should be what you come in for. It's funny that people talk about the handshake going away, because I still regularly shake hands with people even as recently as yesterday.

A positive benefit to me is that I just traveled for work last week for the first time since March. This is the longest my wife and I have spent together uninterrupted. It has been fine, as anticipated. Just weird when the past several years I have left for work for a month at a time at least once per quarter. And with doing less work, I am more well rested and in better mental and physical shape than I have been in a long time, probably ever. I sleep 8+ hours every night, I work out 1-1.5 hours every day, sometimes stretching runs to 2+ hours. I have tested various diets, some more extreme than others, and I have become very aware of my body and its needs. I wish more people had taken this opportunity to get more physical and healthier.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Handshakes are fine to me. I'm not a germaphobe. I want the hug to go away. I hug my wife, and I hug my mom. If you aren't those two people, a handshake should be what you come in for. It's funny that people talk about the handshake going away, because I still regularly shake hands with people even as recently as yesterday.

A positive benefit to me is that I just traveled for work last week for the first time since March. This is the longest my wife and I have spent together uninterrupted. It has been fine, as anticipated. Just weird when the past several years I have left for work for a month at a time at least once per quarter. And with doing less work, I am more well rested and in better mental and physical shape than I have been in a long time, probably ever. I sleep 8+ hours every night, I work out 1-1.5 hours every day, sometimes stretching runs to 2+ hours. I have tested various diets, some more extreme than others, and I have become very aware of my body and its needs. I wish more people had taken this opportunity to get more physical and healthier.
If someone held out their hand to me for a handshake at this current time I'd not so politely decline and then open up a pretty significant gap between myself and said person.

Chaos Maxtor

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Underworld
I recently broke my foot and my wife has been learning to cook. Does that get to count? lol

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I appreciate a good firm handshake from an old friend or new acquaintance.. But I hate hugs from anyone who isn't a lover or a close female member of my family.

But I certainly don't want to touch anybody outside of my present household in this pandemic era.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Another positive for me has been a huge boost in traffic to my youtube channel over the past year... presumably at least partially as a result of so many people being stuck at home with a lot of free time on their hands. Of course I was one of those people stuck at home and consequently had more time to spend making videos. Either way, the channel is now knocking on the door of 2,000 subscribers and is beginning to make some money.

I just wish the same thing had happened for TGC...

Chaos Maxtor

Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Underworld
Odd point: I have met some mildly famous magicians who are teaching me stuff.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
The first new Liquid Tension Experiment music in 22 years!

...never would have happened without the pandemic keeping these guys off the road.