The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Re-watching Star Wars

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Me and my two eldest kids (10 & 7) are going through all the films in order. They've seen them all once apart from ROS, TLJ and Solo and Rogue One. They wanted to watch the two recent ones but as they could barely remember the others, particularly my boy who was too young to appreciate them, I said they'd have to start from Episode I.

Anyway, we've just finished Attack of the Clones and I'd forgotten how awful it really is. And I'm not one of these prequel haters, I loved The Phantom Menace and whilst it has some icky parts, some bits of Revenge of the Sith are unbelievably good.

But Attack of the Clones? Urgh.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Taken as a complete film, Attack of the Clones is probably my least favorite. But it still has plenty of great/memorable moments/things in it. The Courscant speeder chase finally takes us inside the city-scape which we had previously only really seen from afar. The atmosphere on Kamino is also awesome. Sterile medical cloning environment surrounded by a raging ocean world. I also love Obi Wan's chase of Jango Fett through the asteroids, with the awesome seismic charge sound effect. And who can forget Yoda fighting. It shouldn't have worked, but somehow I can't help by smile.

Adira Ventress

Nightsister
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I remember a theatre full of people cheering while Yoda pulled out his lightsaber for the first time during AotC.

BTW, Prequels are better than the Disney Trilogy. :p

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
I think as long as you take the films for what they are then you won’t be disappointed. They aren’t the best movies ever made or some piece of magic. They are movies that created a pretty cool world and a good story. Lots of icky bad parts but meh still okay.

I really enjoyed the speeder chase. Probably my favorite part of this one. The theater I was in also cheered when Yoda ignited his lightsaber lol.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I'll give the speeder chase, and Yoda lightsabering is cool. But Anakin. Urgh. And the whole;

ANAKIN: I killed the women and children too.

PADME: No worries, people get angry, I'll still jump your bones later on, no red flags here

Really?!

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
And I'm still not sure on what the hell went on with the whole Syfa Dias/Tyranus/Clone Army instruction. Not convinced the writers at the time knew either.

Spark Vallen

Caffeinated Corellian
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I'll give the speeder chase, and Yoda lightsabering is cool. But Anakin. Urgh. And the whole;

PADME: No worries, people get angry, I'll still jump your bones later on, no red flags here

Really?!
This exactly.

And, Yoda being able to recognize that Anakin was in trouble, but they seem to shrug it off because Clone Wars!

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
This exactly.

And, Yoda being able to recognize that Anakin was in trouble, but they seem to shrug it off because Clone Wars!
Just awful. Haven't watched it for a few years and was stunned at how little I enjoyed it.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction

Really?!

You have to consider the status of Sand People, not exactly first class citizens. Pile on the fact that they kidnapped and tortured a woman, his mother. Also, Anakin, as a Jedi, is an officer of the republic with rights and powers to execute the law.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
You have to consider the status of Sand People, not exactly first class citizens. Pile on the fact that they kidnapped and tortured a woman, his mother. Also, Anakin, as a Jedi, is an officer of the republic with rights and powers to execute the law.
People also make excuses for their sexual partners all the time. I mean serial killers get laid too

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I can understand that, but it just seemed so out of character for Padme. She was an intelligence, compassionate, successful, beautiful young woman and he was a bad-tempered, self-entitled, whiny little so and so who just revealed that he had slaughtered sentient children. It just doesn't wash for me.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
How many beautiful young women let guys treat them like crap because they "are in love" though?

Spark Vallen

Caffeinated Corellian
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
How many beautiful young women let guys treat them like crap because they "are in love" though?
I never got a real vibe that she was in love with him though. It was more like she was worn down by his predatory behavior.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I never got a real vibe that she was in love with him though. It was more like she was worn down by his predatory behavior.
I completely agree, it was just such a leap. It went from "You'll always be little Ani from Tatooine" and bitchslapping his dickhead behaviour in Theed Palace to falling madly in love, with a little bit of him advocating a dictatorship and slaughtering juvenile Tusken Raiders in between. The whole relationship was just so implausible.