The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

Announcement Takovers, Timelines, and Factions Oh My!

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
We have new things to play with at TGC! Please take a look at the Faction OOC Hub. There you will find information about our factions and takeovers. Our timeline can be found in the Rules forum.

Pleas use this thread for comments and questions

Marck Vallen

Jedi Master
Staff member
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
This is very exciting! I really hope it encourages posting cause I want to have lots of fun!

Rogue Steiner

The Old Man
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I would like to submit another idea. I think what put me off earlier was that all of a sudden the Sith had 90,000 Soldiers and a planet that was a near invincible. I tried to counter this but in modest. Should we add in Shipyard Building? I remember in the earlier days of TGC and The Marzullo Clan you could build only so fast with so many shipyards. This would make us honest.

Small Shipyard: 2000m
-Build Time: 7 Days
-Get 1 automatically per planet the faction has

Medium Shipyard: 5000m
-Build Time: 14 Days

Large Shipyard: 20000m
-Build Time: 28 Days

Build Rate:
-Small Shipyard: 200m/day
-Medium Shipyard: 300m/day
-Large Shipyard: 500m/day

Example:
-A faction could build an Imperial Star Destroyer in 8 days (1600 / 200 = 8) on a Small Shipyard. So in a month they would be able to build 3 total capital ships.
-A factor could build an Imperial Star Destroyer in 4 days (1600 / 500 = 4) (we round UP for time) on a Large Shipyard.

Rules:
-Can only have ONE shipyard being built per planet at a time.
-You cannot build a capital ship larger than you have the capacity you build (ex: you cannot build a Super Star Destroyer on a Small Shipyard).
-You must build Capital Ships, Support Ships, and Starfighters at a shipyard to add to your fleet.

Why Add This:
-For takeovers, at the end of the Takeover or battle the factions can agree on a "Battle Damage Assessment" and take that from their fleets. Their "Commander and Chief" or something to that effect will update their Faction Fleet and prepare for their next war.

Just a suggestion.

Thelle Tamme

The Arbiter
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Sith Eternal
I would like to submit another idea. I think what put me off earlier was that all of a sudden the Sith had 90,000 Soldiers and a planet that was a near invincible. I tried to counter this but in modest. Should we add in Shipyard Building? I remember in the earlier days of TGC and The Marzullo Clan you could build only so fast with so many shipyards. This would make us honest.

Small Shipyard: 2000m
-Build Time: 7 Days
-Get 1 automatically per planet the faction has

Medium Shipyard: 5000m
-Build Time: 14 Days

Large Shipyard: 20000m
-Build Time: 28 Days

Build Rate:
-Small Shipyard: 200m/day
-Medium Shipyard: 300m/day
-Large Shipyard: 500m/day

Example:
-A faction could build an Imperial Star Destroyer in 8 days (1600 / 200 = 8) on a Small Shipyard. So in a month they would be able to build 3 total capital ships.
-A factor could build an Imperial Star Destroyer in 4 days (1600 / 500 = 4) (we round UP for time) on a Large Shipyard.

Rules:
-Can only have ONE shipyard being built per planet at a time.
-You cannot build a capital ship larger than you have the capacity you build (ex: you cannot build a Super Star Destroyer on a Small Shipyard).
-You must build Capital Ships, Support Ships, and Starfighters at a shipyard to add to your fleet.

Why Add This:
-For takeovers, at the end of the Takeover or battle the factions can agree on a "Battle Damage Assessment" and take that from their fleets. Their "Commander and Chief" or something to that effect will update their Faction Fleet and prepare for their next war.

Just a suggestion.
I would only support this if planets that were known to possess shipyards of any kind - or even in the system - would have what they are known to possess, rather than people having to start from scratch whether they be the intimidating shipyards of Fondor, the slightly smaller and nearby shipyards of Tallan, or the far flung smaller shipyards of Tesh.

That way we retain the strategic importance of planets. For clarification, Fondor and Kuat are likely to have multiple large shipyards that already exist.

I absolutely agree that numbers of things such as starships should be kept track of, however, but many players here are not technically inclined like I am - and most want want to design starships. The creation of a Foundry might assist with this, but we'd need rules to keep things from getting out of control. So, basically, as the war leader of a major faction, I'm inclined to an ORBAT to keep track of starships and other assets, and the sustaining of losses during battles is only realistic - but I don't know how to account for the diversity of fleets when right now the only vessel that the Sith are known to operate are the ships that were built at Exegol. There'd have to be another system added, in this case the Foundry, to insure that things were a.) not half-assed, and b.) done correctly.

I already have a set of components that I can apply for, for people to use in Sith vessels - as well as two ship classes that are ready to go, but I'm not inclined to do much beyond copy/pasting my pre-existing tech and editing it to fit board requirements, and limitations.

Thelle Tamme

The Arbiter
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Sith Eternal
also, I don't care much to keep track of starfighters. However many of whatever type exist in whatever vessels are being constructed is good. Keeping track of such vessels makes the system you're proposing rather tedious, and I'd want no part in it if that aspect is kept, so I suppose that's the other caveat to my approval.

Jake Daniels

Duke of Dantella IV
Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
Anything that takes away writing and causes me to stop and do math, I won’t be a part of. Having to track how many ships one side has against another, how many are damaged, destroyed, or taken over as well as survived is too much. Just write and have fun!

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
Anything that takes away writing and causes me to stop and do math, I won’t be a part of. Having to track how many ships one side has against another, how many are damaged, destroyed, or taken over as well as survived is too much. Just write and have fun!
This is how I feel. I don’t know anything about fleeting. But as an admin if that’s something most of you guys want I can try to figure it out and provide it for you.

Thelle Tamme

The Arbiter
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Sith Eternal
I'm pretty sure that most people on the board wouldn't have to handle that, but, yeah, I'm somewhat in both of your boats. The only people that would have to keep track of ORBATs and stuff would be faction leaders, or staff.

I think it's more of the gameification of a story element than a hard mechanic, though. Basically, the only way I'd want this is that while all this happens in the background handled by the people who volunteer or are chosen to do it - like I wojld be willing to - EVERYONE ELSE gets to just play,

Thelle Tamme

The Arbiter
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Sith Eternal
I'm willing to pick up some genuine responsibilities beyond just RPing my character like bringing over my tech for people to use in their vessels for the Sith if they choose to design them, as I might get back into designing tech for fun as well and I know lots of people love making stuff for players who don't wanna bother with making their own stuff to use, and helping to oversee the system suggested so that players without an interest in such things can have their own form of fun... This kind of thing is fun for me, thougu, and I need more to do during rhe quarantine and when I'm not working on uni work after the quarantine, so, if people want this, I'm going to do as much as I humanly can to help so people who just wanna focus on writing can.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
People can make stuff if they want but I’m not going to make an official system for approving fan made stuff. Just detail anything people would need to know in your bio. The problem with other sites that start making custom stuff “canon” is it becomes not Star Wars but just general science fiction. We are all here because we like Star Wars so I’d rather we mostly just use that stuff.

As for fleeting If there is interest we can vote but knowing our base like we do I do not see interest forming in this.

Srika Kiren

Insane Princess of the Underworld
Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
Underworld
I think I agree with the others, as well. I never got into the fleeting thing, but I also agree that if others WANT to do it, they could have that choice, but as for an official system for it when it comes to factions and approval? I've seen it all go downhill in the past. Either it gets too "messy", so it's abandoned and only used by one or two people (thus, making it IMPOSSIBLE to RP any kind of conflict or battle, because they just say "well I have a-z and you have nothing so I win") or it gets too "off topic" As said above, genre mixes, people giving unrealistic specs, and it spills into an "un-star wars like" territory. But I also agree that if someone wants to do it, the math and the figures, then they could, but to do so responsibly and not get upset if others don't understand or know how to do it themselves.

Bjoonter Bridtz

Baron of Bridtz
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Republic
I don't have any particular interest in a fleeting system. For one thing, is it likely that the Jedi will have a massive army? Their takeovers will probably be more diplomatic or liberating an oppressed workforce. Also, Star Wars is full of smaller forces overpowering bigger, better armed armies. (Think Ewoks)

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
maybe we can have fleeting specific threads but not force them on all takeovers? That way if people want a fleet takeover they can and if they want a regular one they can?

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
Let’s see if anybody else is interested in fleeting so we know if it’s appealing.

Koga

Lady Incendia - Sith Master
Staff member
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I actually have zero interest in the fleeting aspect. When I do takeovers, I do ground based RP/battling. I would not be interested in doing this as I personally feel it would take away from my writing and story telling. It’s just not how I write or enjoy writing. Just my opinion, though.

Rogue Steiner

The Old Man
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I don't have any particular interest in a fleeting system. For one thing, is it likely that the Jedi will have a massive army? Their takeovers will probably be more diplomatic or liberating an oppressed workforce. Also, Star Wars is full of smaller forces overpowering bigger, better armed armies. (Think Ewoks)
Well the Jedi wouldn't have a large army. But given the TJC/TSC where it is 90k Sith vrs 6 Jedi... seems very one sided.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
I remember the days of SwFans shipyards with the myriad of rules. I ran the shipyards and fleets for TGC when it was then a faction. Honestly, it became more like a job than a hobby during that time. Everyone cheated by stealing a few days off the end of a build time for an Eclipse Star Destroyer and people would sneak ships into their manifest. Every ship in your fleet was expected to have a thread in a shipyard forum that could justify its construction. It really was a headache. And people got protective of their ships because of the time and effort expended in their creation. As a consequence, EVERY SINGLE fleet battle led to accusations of cheating or God-moding purely because they'd lost one of their 50 Star Destroyers. I know back then 95% of the players were angsty teens and we're less likely to behave that way these days, but those experiences have clouded my opinion on the matter.

And if the Sith raise an army, it makes the relationship and dynamic between the Jedi and The New Republic more important and complex, which could be the source of some interesting new RPs, particularly with the new Ambassadorial position in the Jedi.