The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

The Coronavirus

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
We have slowed down a lot as people are being forced into telework and quarantined.

I figured this would be a good place to share news and stories.

Mak Manto

Rogue Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
If Max Chaos ever shows up, I'll have to pay him back on a debt made during the swine flu crisis.

I was convinced half of the world was going to die. He told me to not worry so much.

It's bad, but people freaking out and buying toilet paper are goofy in my opinion.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
I don’t understand hoarding toilet paper. Medicine at least makes some sense even if I don’t agree with hoarding but toilet paper?

Mak Manto

Rogue Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
It's basically a bank run.

A bank run is when everyone runs to their bank to take out their money because they're afraid that the bank might collapse.

People are buying out toilet paper stocks in stores because they see other people buying toilet paper.

They're afraid there won't be anymore toilet paper to buy.

Good question on why the first few people did it, though.

It's a necessity, but so is food and water. Medicine as well, like you said.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
I mean you could live without it. It would suck and laundry day would be so awful but if it comes down to toilet paper or food ....

Ellin Vaal

Padawan
Rank
Trainee
Force User
Yes
Faction
true I mean im not overly worried about it but its going to be a huge disruption to say the least

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
They are closing major things so it’s scary

Marina deVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Yea of all things; toilet paper.
I was down to 3 rolls at home Friday when I went to do my normal food shopping and to my surprise, no paper of any sort. Not even paper table napkins. crazy.
needless to say, I was able to acquire a store brand pack by Tuesday at full price. The sale stock was completely out by Tuesday again.
Also, yesterday night I went to go buy orange juice and other stuff. No freakin orange juice and like 3 gallons of reg milk and skim left in the dairy.
Like come ON, how long can you keep milk for?
This kind of behavior with stupid people hoarding in nerving me up now. It's true, this type of behavior causes a domino effect that eventually reaches sensible people.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
It’s insane. We had to go to four stores to find toilet paper

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
My company just announced that by next week, they may put us on a split 3 day work week. That's a 24 hour work week.
Well, looks like I'm going to make sure to fill my gas tank after work for who knows whats going to happen over the weekend.

Everyone, stay safe and use your head. Ride this out in a civilized manner. :)

S

Spark Vallen

I work for a university and, at my campus, after shifting all classes to online-only, they told staff to work remotely for the next 6 weeks and just keep a bare minimum staff in the office (like, 2 people) so the doors stay open. Then, they canceled all events, including commencement. It felt really strange to text and GChat with my coworkers all day.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
I am hopeful I can take my remaining PhD credits online as my university has done what Sparks has.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Does that help you then, as there was talk of you having to stick a pin in it with your impending move? Be nice if some people can find a silver-lining in all this.

My wife works at a university as well, they've told the students to stay away but the staff can still head in. No change at my work but I can work from home easily so hopefully our incomes will remain steady. The only worry will be if our clients stop using our services (the majority of our income is transactional) and the money runs out. That should only happen if this thing carries on for several months, but some people are predicting that.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
We are still moving at the end of this week. Right now we are waiting to hear about the moving company though.

Marina deVoe

Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
I'm on a split workweek schedule now and since I post from work, I'll be S..l..o..w...
We're split into two groups. Group 'A' and group 'B'. Each work 3 days on, two days off during the work week.

Food stores are open, but kind of limited in popular items that have been horded. Plenty of canned vegetables, soup and other stuff that although not entirely healthy for you, can make it possible to keep you preserved once you turn zombie. :)

Ronin Wendigo

Guardians of Cerberus
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Well just take care and safe all....

Yeah work been slowly winding down on some end while slowly peak in some. And most if not quite few at work been sent work at home. And few us left to hunker down continue on site. Had to do with ever more added precation or rules.....😷 🏥.

Hwo

Jedi Exile
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I've been pretty unconcerned about this whole thing. I don't mind the work from home protocols my firm and my wife's firm instituted -- we still have the option to go into the office as we want, but we are encouraged to work from home if we can. I only went into the office a few days per week when not traveling, which was for 3-4 weeks at a time every 2-3 months. We are grounded, so what should have been a 400 hour March turned into about 160 hours.

With the closure of all gyms in the state, I have had to be creative. I've been using a Yeti cooler, 420-round 5.56 ammo cans, paint cans, a propane tank, a tool bag that I can adjust the weight by adding or removing tools/ammo, and a yoga mat to get in as much of an exercise as I can. I ordered adjustable dumbbells from Bowflex, but all deliveries of everything everywhere are slowed down. Amazon either sold out or pulled off the market all of the adjustable weight sets there. Fortunately, we are not on a total lockdown yet, so I ran 20 miles yesterday. I refuse to let this "social distancing" shutdown impact my health.

All in all, I'm not really scared of COVID-19 at all. I am very upset that fear has led to major shutdowns and is killing the market. I am very frustrated that my gym is closed. I am scared of the "emergency powers" that the governments are instituting. Right now, the federal government hasn't taken too much power, but state governments in NY, CA, etc. are acting like dictatorships. When governments start hoarding power and taking rights from citizens, history shows they rarely give it back.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Lockdown (or at least a soft-lockdown) was imposed in the UK yesterday evening.

You are allowed to leave your home for work if you cannot work from home or are in an essential role (ie, work in health or food retail and food supply chain). Other than that, you are allowed out to shop for food as infrequently as possible and can leave your house once a day for exercise, though only with members of the family and you must maintain at least a two metre distance with anyone else you might see.

Strange old times.

And it's not really about whether you're scared of it, for the vast, vast majority of people they will get it and be absolutely fine, but everyone could be a carrier that might infect the elderly or another vulnerable person. I'm not scared of it, but I am scared I'll be responsible for passing it on to someone for whom the virus is deadly. So the lockdown sucks, but it's a sensible course of action for the government to take.

Darth Madre

Rank
Trainee
Force User
Yes
Faction
I'm in Washington so we just went into "Stay Home" orders. My company is considered essential so the office is open but all Finance personnel are authorized to wfh so that has been great for me!

I'm a little frustrated that the gyms have closed down. I have a treadmill at home and free weights but I much prefer my gym when trying to get a workout in. We're allowed to go outside for exercise so I've been trying to take advantage of that every afternoon on my lunch. On the whole, I'm super worried about how much damage this is doing to the economy. My industry will be fine (knock on wood) but there are so many people out there who are now jobless or are about to be jobless. I hope we can either get this under control soon or come up with a solution to end this lockdown madness. It's hurting people in more ways than the virus.