The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

The Coronavirus

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
What's happening with the NBA in Orlando, they sound like they've got a half decent plan.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
What's happening with the NBA in Orlando, they sound like they've got a half decent plan.
I guess they're quarantining everybody on DIsney property and playing an abbreviated playoff tournament there... but who knows. I'll believe it when I see it, though I don't really follow basketball too much.

I know Disney was trying to open some US parks but employees petitioned them to delay because of how bad things were getting again.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Disneyland Paris is opening on 15th July, but France seems to have a decent hold on things.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Disneyland Paris is opening on 15th July, but France seems to have a decent hold on things.
A large portion of the USA seem to have a decent hold on things. Its shocking how quickly it can all go wrong. Sure there were some states that never took the pandemic seriously, but now even those that painstakingly dealt with it are seeing a reversal. I guess the real question is - is it possible to both open things up and suppress the spread at the same time? Distancing, masks and hand washing certainly help, but where is the line? What is an acceptable level of spread? Death? Disruption of normalcy?

Marina deVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
I don't see anything ever getting back to what it were just a few years ago. Society is breaking down worldwide.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I don't see anything ever getting back to what it were just a few years ago. Society is breaking down worldwide.

Its easy to think that because things have been relatively stable here in our lifetimes... but if you look at history, and many other corners of the globe, crisis is far more common than you'd think. Its always "the end of the world." But people can shockingly adapt to just about anything and come to think of it as "normal."

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
Its easy to think that because things have been relatively stable here in our lifetimes... but if you look at history, and many other corners of the globe, crisis is far more common than you'd think. Its always "the end of the world." But people can shockingly adapt to just about anything and come to think of it as "normal."
Exactly, and it's from hardship that advancement comes.

Look at why Europe came to dominate the globe, it had nothing to do with genetics or anything like that. The fact was, whilst the indigenous populations of America and Australia and Africa had an abundance of food, either growing on trees and planets, so had no need to adapt or advance. Food did not need to be stored, you picked it or killed it and ate it. Simple. Meanwhile in Europe, famine was rife, people were dropping dead by starvation and surviving winter was harsh. Out of that, humans learned to plant crops. Out of planting crops came the first surplus, which required storage and record-keeping. The first recorded writing was on shells detailing the contents of a grain store. From that came trading of goods and services and a market economy. The market economy was inherent with the need to acquire an advantage over competitors and from that came pretty much all human, technological advancement. All because the threat of starvation drove a human to put some seeds in the ground.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Exactly, and it's from hardship that advancement comes.

Look at why Europe came to dominate the globe, it had nothing to do with genetics or anything like that. The fact was, whilst the indigenous populations of America and Australia and Africa had an abundance of food, either growing on trees and planets, so had no need to adapt or advance. Food did not need to be stored, you picked it or killed it and ate it. Simple. Meanwhile in Europe, famine was rife, people were dropping dead by starvation and surviving winter was harsh. Out of that, humans learned to plant crops. Out of planting crops came the first surplus, which required storage and record-keeping. The first recorded writing was on shells detailing the contents of a grain store. From that came trading of goods and services and a market economy. The market economy was inherent with the need to acquire an advantage over competitors and from that came pretty much all human, technological advancement. All because the threat of starvation drove a human to put some seeds in the ground.

If you go back a little further in time, to between the final centuries of the last ice age and follow that forward to the dawn of "civilization" that you're talking about its interesting to see how all around the globe people with no contact with one another ended up with virtually identical disaster myths dealing with both floods and fire. There is a growing body of geological evidence pointing toward meteor strikes and extreme volcanism being within the the scope of our racial (as in human race) memory. Fast forward over the intervening millennia and you basically see that all of recorded human civilization has taken part in a relatively stable period with only minor climate change in either direction. While polluting our air is stupid.... a lot of scientists still aren't taking into account that we're probably still experiencing natural temperature recovery from the last ice age.

But our prehistoric ancestors remember super floods and skies on fire.... They must have thought it was the end of the world.

Danster Bokoto

Jedi Master
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jedi Order
To some scientists, an ice age is defined by a period where there is ice on the earth's poles. So by that definition, we're still coming out of one.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
To some scientists, an ice age is defined by a period where there is ice on the earth's poles. So by that definition, we're still coming out of one.
The "ice ages" are really just "glacial maximums." But even within an ice age there are warming periods and cooling periods. But because civilization is still young, and science even young, we have a hard time with perspective. Like I said above, all of known civilization has happened in a relatively stable time.