The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

The Obituary Thread

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Famous and formerly famous folk, sports and entertainment industry professionals, politicians and public figures... They're dying right and left! This slightly morbid thread is all about them.

Last edited:

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
INDIANAPOLIS – John Andretti, a member of one of auto racing's most famous families and the first driver to attempt the Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR's 600-mile race in North Carolina on the same day, has died. He was 56 and had spent the last three years battling colon cancer.

Andretti Autosports, which is owned by Andretti's cousin, Michael, announced the death Thursday.

Andretti's cousin and uncle, Mario, were longtime fan favorites in the IndyCar Series and beyond.

But John Andretti developed his own fan base at Indy in part because he was the first driver to attempt the Memorial Day double – running in both the 500 and the 600-mile night race outside Charlotte, North Carolina.

Andretti made 49 consecutive IndyCar starts from 1990-92 before moving to NASCAR, where he started at least 29 races every season from 1994-2003. He won three times and helped raise money for Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis through his initiative Race 4 Riley.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
CORROSION OF CONFORMITY Drummer REED MULLIN Dead At 53

CORROSION OF CONFORMITY drummer Reed Mullin has died. He was 53 years old.

His bandmates confirmed his passing in a social media post earlier tonight. They wrote: "Reed, It's with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to a friend, a brother and pioneer. Love and condolences to the family, friends and fans who will miss you and thanks for the music"

Earlier today, several of Reed's friends, including fellow drummer Felix Griffin (D.R.I. ), Scott Carlson (REPULSION) and Jimi Hazel (24-7 SPYZ), made social media posts indicating that Mullin had died.

Mullin, who co-founded CORROSION OF CONFORMITY in 1982 as a hardcore punk act alongside bassist Mike Dean and guitarist Woody Weatherman, had missed a number of shows in the past four years due to a variety of health issues, including an alcohol-related seizure he suffered back in June 2016.

Last summer, Dean said that Mullin needed "to take care of himself and get his shit together" before rejoining the band. "And if that happens, the door's open for him," Mike told the "Talk Toomey" podcast. "And if it doesn't, well, that's how it is. People need to wanna help themselves. You can't just push them to get help — they've gotta wanna help themselves."

Mike also praised Mullin's replacement, John Green from Manchester, U.K., who had previously worked with CORROSION OF CONFORMITY as a roadie.

"Reed had some sort of incident where, basically, just a few hours before getting on a plane to play Bloodstock [festival] a few years ago, I heard that he wasn't gonna be able to make the trip," Dean explained. "And as I was calling the tour manager in the U.K. to say, 'Hey, we're not gonna be able to make it,' he said, 'You know, John could learn all those songs.' And I thought about the idea of just pulling the plug on this whole thing we worked hard to do, and I said, 'You know what? Let's try that.' And he stepped up with 24 hours notice — slightly less than 24 hours notice — learned a bunch stuff, studied up and just went out there in front of basically 60,000 people who were there to see JUDAS PRIEST, et cetera, et cetera, and just nailed it, with energy and all that. So, it was, like, 'Well, this seems to be the way to go.'"

When Mullin suffered his alcohol-related seizure four years ago, Dean said in a statement that the episode had been "preceded by prolonged, extreme and unhealthy levels of alcohol consumption, not taking care of himself and who knows what else." Dean revealed that the "tragic event" echoed "a nearly identical" incident in Pittsburgh a few years earlier, where "Reed had a seizure just before taking the stage when the three-piece version of the band were also opening for CLUTCH. Both instances were preceded by concerns about Reed's well being and appearance. That incident resulted in five canceled shows. So years of assurances go by and we come full circle back to the same avoidable tragedy."

Mike went on to say that he and his bandmates would "not enable Reed to continue killing himself on our watch."

In a December 2015 interview with SideStage Magazine, Mullin reflected on the passing of former STONE TEMPLE PILOTS singer Scott Weiland, who had just died of an accidental overdose of alcohol and drugs. He said: "I think a lot of people thought that it would have happened a long time ago. I didn't really know Scott, but I was really good friends with Layne Staley [ALICE IN CHAINS], and I've had my own problems with alcohol, you know; I think a lot of us have. But, you know, you have housewives that get addicted to pain pills and stuff like that. So it's not hard to understand, but at the same time it's tragic, especially in Layne's case when you knew it was going to happen. I didn't know Scott that well at all — I had met him several times, but I didn't really know him. I knew Layne very well. Like I said, I didn't know Scott, but I share a lot of the difficulties that he had before he passed so I understand, and I still struggle with some of that stuff."

CORROSION OF CONFORMITY's latest album, 2018's "No Cross No Crown", marked the band's first studio output with vocalist/guitarist Pepper Keenan in over a decade.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jörn Donner Dies: Oscar-Winning ‘Fanny And Alexander’ Producer Was 86

Jörn Donner, the prolific Finnish producer and director whose credits included Ingmar Bergman’s Oscar-winning Fanny And Alexander, has died at the age of 86.

Reports in local news were followed today by a statement released by the Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival, the biggest film event in the region, mourning his passing.

“A legend has left us,” said Tiina Lokk, director of Black Nights. “Donner’s work has not only influenced Nordic film but also life outside the screen – as a writer, a sharp-minded social critic, a politician and a diplomat.”

Donner passed away yesterday (January 30) after a long fight with illness, according to the festival, which presented him with a lifetime achievement award back in 2017.

As a producer, Donner made more than 60 films, including Bergman’s 1982 drama Fanny And Alexander, which won four Academy Awards including Best Foreign Language Film in 1984.

As a director, his credits included the 1963 movie A Sunday In September, which saw him win the Best Debut award in Venice. He also helmed To Love (1964), Black On White (1968), Portraits Of Women (1970) and Fuck Off! Images of Finland (1971), as well as a 2017 sequel to the latter, Fuck Off 2 – Images From Finland. His most recent credit was an hour-long documentary that chronicled his work with Bergman.

Donner was a multi-hyphenate, also founding the Finnish Film Archive and running the Swedish Film Institute from 1978 to 1982. As a writer, he published more than 50 books, winning the Finlandia literary award in 1985. He also served 14 years in the Finnish parliament, three years as a MEP in Brussels and was Finland’s Consul General in Los Angeles during the 1990s.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Joyce Sevilla Dies: Nightlife And Entertainment Publicist For Major Brands Was 47

Publicist Joyce Sevilla was found dead at her home in West Hollywood on Wednesday, according to the West Hollywood division of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s department.

Sgt. Jennifer Roth said deputies responded to a welfare check shortly before 9 PM at Sevilla’s apartment on Harper Avenue, where they found Sevilla’s body. There was no indication of foul play, Roth said, and said the matter has been turned over to the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office.

Sevilla had a long history in entertainment, working for Jive Records on such talent as the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears, then seguing to the nightlife and entertianment firm Entertainment Fusion Group. She spent ten years at the firm working on major brands as head of US publicity.

Her most recent venture included heading up her own entertainment marketing and publicity firm, Sevilla Strategic Communications.

Sevilla graduated from Villanova University in Philadelphia. Information on survivors or memorial plans was not immediately available.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
This is super depressing :( I hope they all Rest In Peace

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
This is super depressing

Hehe! Sorry. The thing is, i see frequent death notices on a couple of my favorite websites. I figured it was best to put them all in one thread here... rather than a new thread every time i want to call people's attention a death.

Jake Daniels

Duke of Dantella IV
Rank
Knight
Force User
Yes
Faction
Will the site be able to hold how large this thread gets when all the baby boomer politicians around the world kick the bucket in the next decade or so?

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
ANDY GILL, Guitarist And Founding Member Of GANG OF FOUR, Dead At 64

Andy Gill, guitarist of legendary post-punk band GANG OF FOUR, died today at the age of 64. He passed away in a central London hospital after a short respiratory illness.

Andy, often cited as one of the world's greatest guitarists, left his mark on his own music, as founding member of GANG OF FOUR. In pioneering the band's sparse, jagged sound and looping feedback, Andy also inspired and informed generations of musicians. A groundbreaking composer and a brilliantly innovative producer, he worked with artists including the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, THE STRANGLERS, THE FUTUREHEADS, Michael Hutchence, Bono, THERAPY? and THE YOUNG KNIVES.

GANG OF FOUR is considered one of the most influential British rock bands of all time, with their post-punk sound defining a whole era of new music coming out of Britain in the late 1970s. GANG OF FOUR continued to evolve, innovate and remain vibrantly relevant, touring extensively in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the Far East just last year and continuing to release new music, with latest album, "Happy Now", out in 2019, and a new studio album just finished. Political and pointed, GANG OF FOUR's debut album "Entertainment!" (which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year), has been listed as one of the greatest albums of all time in Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, among others. Respected writer David Fricke of Rolling Stone called them "probably the best politically motivated band in rock and roll."

John Sterry, Thomas McNeice and Tobias Humble, respectively singer, bass player and drummer of GANG OF FOUR, said in a statement: "This is so hard for us to write, but our great friend and Supreme Leader has died today.

"Andy's final tour in November was the only way he was ever really going to bow out; with a Stratocaster around his neck, screaming with feedback and deafening the front row. His uncompromising artistic vision and commitment to the cause meant that he was still listening to mixes for the upcoming record and planning the next tour from his hospital bed. But to us, he was our friend — and we'll remember him for his kindness and generosity, his fearsome intelligence, bad jokes, mad stories and endless cups of Darjeeling tea. He just so happened to be a bit of a genius too.

"One of the best to ever do it, his influence on guitar music and the creative process was inspiring for us all, as well as everyone who worked alongside him and listened to his music. And his albums and production work speak for themselves. Go give 'em a spin for him...

"Love you, mate."

Andy is survived by his wife Catherine Mayer, his brother Martin and many family and elective family members who will miss him terribly. Please respect their grief.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Jane Milmore Dies: Emmy-Nominated Writer Was 64

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Robert Conrad Dies: Star Of ‘The Wild Wild West’ Was 84

Robert Conrad, the actor best known for his role in the television show The Wild Wild West, died today in Malibu, Calif. of heart failure. He was 84 and his death was announced by a family spokesman.

Born in Chicago, Illinois on March 1, 1935, Conrad moved to Los Angeles in 1958 and found almost instant success, booking a recurring role on the TV show Hawaiian Eye in 1959.

After Hawaiian Eye, he scored his signature role, that of Secret Service agent James West in The Wild Wild West. The show ran from 1965 to 1969, but became an even bigger hit in syndication. The premise followed West and sidekick Artemus Gordon as the country’s first Secret Service agents, taking on the super villains of the era during the Ulysses S. Grant administration.

After Wild West West, Conrad moved on to other television shows, including The D.A., Assignment: Vienna, Centennialand Baa Baa Black Sheep (which was later syndicated as Black Sheep Squadron.)

The series spun off into a film, with Conrad reprising his role in More Wild Wild West. He also appeared in the films Murph the Surf, The Lady in Red and Samurai Cowboy. His last appearance came in 2002 in Dead Above Ground.

The versatile Conrad also recorded several albums during his career under the name Bob Conrad. He also became something of a tough-guy symbol thanks to his commercials for Eveready batteries. Conrad placed a battery on his shoulder and dared viewers to knock it off.
Conrad was a recipient of the Distinguished Service Award in Broadcasting and an inductee of the Stuntman’s Hall of Fame.
A private memorial service is scheduled for March 1. His family has asked for donations to the Wounded Warrior Project and The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation.
Conrad is survived by 18 grandchildren and eight children, shared with ex-wives LaVelda Fann and Joan Kenlay.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Kevin Conway Dies: ‘Gettysburg’, ‘Thirteen Days’ & ‘Invincible’ Actor Was 77

Kevin Conway, a veteran actor known for his work in Gettysburg, Thirteen Days and Invincible, among others, died Wednesday of a heart attack, his publicist told Deadline. He was 77.

New York City-born Conway worked as an IBM sales analyst before becoming an actor at age 24. He went on to a decades-long career with dozens of credits in film, television and on the stage. His first major screen role was playing Roland Weary in the 1972 film Slaughterhouse Five, based on the Kurt Vonnegut novel. He went on to play Crum Petree, the insane mailman in the 1988 film Funny Farm; Frank Papale in the 2006 Disney football drama Invincible; and General Curtis LeMay in the 2000 historical drama Thirteen Days. He also played the fictional Sgt. Buster Kilrain in Ron Maxwell’s 1993 epic Gettysburg (see photo above) and its 2003 follow-up Gods and Generals.

His television work included playing Roger Chillingworth in a 1979 TV production of The Scarlet Letter, a role later played by Robert Duvall in 1995’s The Scarlet Letter. Conway also had a memorable guest-starring role on NBC’s Homicide: Life on the Street. In the 1995 episode titled “Heartbeat,” he played Joseph Cardero, the prime suspect in a cold-case murder who is obsessed with Edgar Allan Poe. Cardero ultimately meets his end in the same manner his victim did – and with a chilling nod to Poe’s The Tell-Tale Heart.

Conway’s stage credits include a 1974 Drama Desk-winning Off Broadway performance in When You Comin’ Back, Red Ryder? and a 1970 Broadway debut in the play Indians starring Stacy Keach and Raul Julia. In 1975 he played George opposite James Earl Jones’ Lennie in Of Mice and Men, and in 1979 starred opposite Philip Anglim in the acclaimed The Elephant Man. His last Broadway credit was 2002’s Dinner at Eight opposite Joanne Camp, John Dossett, Marian Seldes and Christine Ebersole.

As a director, Conway helmed the 1987 independent film The Sun and the Moon.

His numerous other TV credits include the Control Voice for The Outer Limits revival series from 1995-2002. He guest-starred on Star Trek: The Next Generation as the clone of the legendary Klingon figure Kahless, as well as on The Good Wife, JAG, Law & Order, In the Heat of the Night and The Black Donnellys. Conway also recurred on HBO’s prison drama Oz as Seamus O’Reilly, the abusive father of Irish gang inmates Ryan and Cyril O’Reilly.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I'm gonna miss Kevin Conway. His performance in Gettysburg was incredible....

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Raphael Coleman Dies: ‘Nanny McPhee’ Child Star And Climate Activist Was 25

Raphael Coleman, a former child actor who became a climate change activist, has died. He was 25.

Coleman passed away Friday, his mother and stepfather shared in separate social media posts over the weekend.

“Rest in peace my beloved son Raphael Coleman, aka Iggy Fox. He died doing what he loved, working for the noblest cause of all. His family could not be prouder. Let’s celebrate all he achieved in his short life and cherish his legacy,” his mom, Liz Jensen, tweeted.

Jensen’s post included a link to the website for Extinction Rebellion, an international climate change movement aimed at halting mass extinction.

The article said Coleman, who also went by the name Iggy Fox, was recently arrested at London’s Brazilian Embassy after joining an environmental protest calling for an end to “an ecological and human rights emergency.”

Coleman’s stepdad also paid tribute in an emotional Facebook post.

“Raph wasn’t my child, even though I was close to him,” Carsten Jensen wrote in his Facebook post. “But I can feel it myself. I see it in his mother’s eyes, and I hear it in her voice, the irreversible loss of the most precious thing in life.”

Coleman was born in September 1994 in Wandsworth, England. Fans likely remember him for his role as Eric in the 2005 family comedy Nanny McPhee, alongside Emma Thompson and Colin Firth. He also appeared in the films It’s Alive (2009) and The Fourth Kind (2009).

He died suddenly after collapsing while out on a run, the Mirror reported. His cause of death has not yet been released.