The Gungan Council

Welcome to The Gungan Council! We are a relaxed community with a laid back system. Stop by and say hello today by registering for a free account!

The Witcher

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Netflix’s fourth quarter 2019 earnings are here, and so are the first official numbers for Netflix’s latest streaming hit The Witcher. The company says the series was watched by 76 million households, making it the most-watched first season of television ever for Netflix. That’s according to Netflix’s newly unveiled definition of “watched,” which it changed from “watched 70 percent of a single episode of a series” to anyone who “chose to watch and did watch for at least 2 minutes.”

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
I guess it’s pretty popular. I haven’t investigated it though.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
I guess it’s pretty popular. I haven’t investigated it though.
The point is that we don't know. They only reveal numbers differently that the industry standard in order to make it look more populat.

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
I don’t think we can apply the same industry standard to a streaming service. If people watch a television program for 2 minutes it could have been on while they went to the bathroom. On the other hand you have to navigate to Netflix, open the app, select the show, and sit there for two minutes. It’s way more intentional.

I wish the news outlets would report more on the numbers Netflix has in their reports, which measure every half hour. That seems more indicative of people watching. The 2 minute thing was a gimmick and its being twisted to make Netflix look a certain way.

General Ceel

TGC Founder
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
Tv has an established system fo tracking this stuff. Netflix seems to make up whatever it wants.

Kane E Smart

Mandalorian, Beskar Pirate
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Underworld
So chances are The Mandalorian was actually the most watched program after all

Curt Falnath

Pirate Captain
Staff member
Rank
Elite
Force User
No
Faction
Underworld
I, for one, thought that the Witcher was excellent, and most other people who I know felt the same.

Reactions: Hwo

Admin Droid

Beep Beep
Staff member
Rank
Trainee
Force User
No
Faction
Jedi Order
Netflix isn’t TV. Even Neilson tracks it differently

I think we are going to have to see a new standard system for streaming. Right now everybody is doing their own thing. It’s hard to compare

Hwo

Jedi Exile
Rank
Master
Force User
Yes
Faction
The timeline jumping was annoying at first, but overall, I thought the Witcher was great.